Are JW"S coerced to refuse blood transfusions?

by fearnotruth22 35 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Odrade
    Odrade

This may be a really dumb question, but are all publishers automatically listed with the bloodless program? If I want to ensure that I am not "visited" by the HLC in the event of hospitalization, how do I go about that?

And thank you fear for a really thought-provoking post. The blood issue is what finally loosened my blinders. When I realized all of the "fraction" changes and started to think about all the people who might be alive if for the sake of being allowed "fractions" many years ago. Well, it just sickens me. It took a long time for that thought to work it's way to the surface, but it was a start. I know others have said too, how complicated it is, and they have fear that they may die for just not understanding the current acceptable blood doctrine, and refusing some part of treatment that would actually be considered "okay."

O

• wednesday
    wednesday
    but are all publishers automatically listed with the bloodless program? If I want to ensure that I am not "visited" by the HLC in the event of hospitalization, how do I go about that?

no, but if u have ever gone to the hospital and been asked what religion u are, and said, JWS, then they have record of it. They will ask for your card, and then sort of enroll u in the program. (your record is tagged). I made a point last ER visit I had to tell the clerk to delete all data regarding JWS and take me out of the bloodless program. There is more danger if u have a bloodless hospital in your area. So if u are concerned, next time u go in make sure to ask them if they have a religious preference listed in your records. I would say just call, but they probably won't give u that info over the phone(new privacy laws). As long as u don't have it listed u are a jws, then u will have less problems. Actually, they should ask u each time u go in in case of changes.

short answer-no. they don't know u are a jws unless u telll them.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Thank you Wednesday, we do have a bloodless program in my city, so it is of concern. I don't recall if the subject came up the one and only time I was visited the ER here, but I will check on it.

O

• fearnotruth22
    fearnotruth22

The only hesitation I have about not telling the hospital about being a JW is that I dont want blood for evrry little thing, and that Hospitlas may possible give jws better treatments out of fear, also if jw sis are in the hospital hopefully one would get better treatment because of their "loving "involvement, and aside from the lc enforcing noblood, they can also help to force hospitals to treat jws better only by their presence. These are only my feelings. I welcome info on this. However, where it is important to make the right choice is to choose to carry or not to carry the md card. REmmember, if yoou are unconcious and bleeding profusely the loving brotheres that signed your card will see to it that you dont get blood. THe cqrd itself is legal so that you dont get blood even if blood is the only way to keep you alive. So decide that now. IF you are unconcious you wont be able to. WAke up and smell the coffee

• fearnotruth22
    fearnotruth22

Oracle it is a pleaseure hearing your views. WEd seems to be very well informed. I went to the hospital a couple of times in the past a couple of years ago, nothing major., but they alsways ask your religion. On one occasion the y told me that some people with the LC committe would be contacting me there, I was there for less that a couple of hours and becuase I was was there for did not require any blood, never the less if shows what wed is saying that if you tell the hopsital that you are a jw, the automatucally assume you dont want blood and contact the lc committee.

Get information, and dont make your choice based on religious interpretations that have shown to be on shaky ground, but determine if the blood risk is worth it to you on medical grounds for your ailment, andl consider all of the other options and their risk and then decide what you want with the help of MEDICAL experts not religious experts.IF YOU ARE CONCIOUS. KNOW your position before carrying the md card. I carry the md card still.

Make the right choice, live.

• wednesday
    wednesday

It has been my experience that hospitals hate JWS and tend to treat them not as well as non JWS. By that i mean, if u say u do not want blood, u are a jws, they will often not look at all your options for treatment. If u want to die, fine with them. Long as u have released them from liability.

Best not to carry a card if u want to get blood if u are not conscious. Otherwise, if they see anything that might make them think u are a jw, they will let u bleed to death. (unless u are a child-then they will pursue it) If u are awake, then the doc will be happy to discuss options with u. They don't infuse blood as quickly as they used to. Generally, if your doc says u need blood, u need it.

So, that leaves me to decide if i need blood. Not the HLC.

• fearnotruth22
    fearnotruth22

Wed, I understand what you mean. But years of wt indoctrination and conclusions that I have come to on my own in the past, are not so easy to ignore. Hence, my shaky position at this time is to accept any medical treatments so that I can survive including blood, but my deeply engrained views and feelings keep shaking me up. THis is what happens to jws as myself. .

• wednesday
    wednesday

I know it is scary Fear, but really carrying that card is scarier. I too have been a jws all my life , but i have been in the medical field for rmany years, and know how the staff at the hospital really feels. Places will vary, and some hospitals are better, in that, they will actively seek alternative treatment for u if u refuse. Some will let u lay there and die, and not worry at all b/c after all, u are tieing their hands. and have released them from liability. Actually, some jws have sued even though they refused blood bc of such poor treatment , ie, their docs did nothing, just bc they refused blood. this used to be unheard of, if u refused blood , no jws would sue b/c of bad outcome(death)

be careful out there .(hill street blues, )

• fearnotruth22
    fearnotruth22

Thanks for the info wed. Much appreciaited. Im no martyr. I want the best medical treatment because I want to keep on living and not to die without a cause. Of course many jws never are face with the blood issue, but as this thread mentions earlier a sister bled to death that would be alive today had she accpeted blood treament according to news. Lots of lurkers are faced with the dilema. The elders are not providing the answers. Some bros cannot fill out the proxy form. Its too confusing. Blind faith to quotr gopher.

• wednesday
    wednesday

Fear,

I have been reading your posts and i see u are in the same process that all of us go through. Here on the board we are all at different stages of disbelief in the org. I came here in sept of 02 and still defended jws to a degreee. But the silentlambs issue really sealed it for me. I have read posts from just about everyone on the board. Look back and read JT's posts and read Garybuss's posts. Gary is over at Freeminds too. some of us are really bitter, and just so hurt we can barely speak about it. I have gone from pain to anger to bitterness. I now need to find a way to get past this, b/c it is giving the WTS power over me.

Don't let anyone scare u -people sometimes post before they think I know i have.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit