There Is No Road in the Desert

by compound complex 15 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

There is no road in the desert, yet you chance upon my friendless camp.

Was it stars that led you to me or two yearning hearts become conjoined?

I envision a most lovely you, but you're just a dream of what I once knew.

Remote I remain in my desert abode while stars and your spirit sail on by.

• compound complex
    compound complex

With grateful thanks to Gertrude Bell . . .

• compound complex
    compound complex

It could not possibly have been a more arduous journey, this traverse across a diabolical union of both shifting sands and searing winds. Water has become the most precious but rarest of commodities.

I seek shelter. I seek water. Many a phantom mirage has loomed up before my scorched eyeballs. An optic message relayed to a mind weary and anxious for any shred of assuagement is most desperately entertained. My logic has become suspect, if, in fact, there remains any ability to work my way through this predicament.

As in my earlier trek, I find a disconcerting comfort in the song of the pharaohs that plays upon an unforgiving wind. It is a dirge that haunts this broken man, a derelict whose termination perches ominously upon the illusory desert horizon.

• Outahere
    Outahere

I've been through the desert on a horse with no name

It felt good to be out of the rain

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Outahere!

Immortal words that did cross my mind.

Best wishes.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Love it coco, particularly the second line andthe thought of being led by yearning.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, sparrowdown, for your reply!

We are led. with or without our consent.

I haven't read the book, but in the movie Ms. Bell grieves over a lost love, then, subsequently, yearns for the physical presence of the absent new man in her life.

Sadly, she lost them both.

• humbled
    humbled

What a surprise!

Your post made me look into Gertrude Bell. l have been lost this past hour picking up scraps of her life.

Well, aren’t we all a mystery!?

And everyone peering into her life and not certain they found all of her yet.

• compound complex
    compound complex

I appreciate your comments, humbled!

Likewise, my surprise. Nicole Kidman did a remarkable job of portraying the extraordinary woman, Gertrude Bell, who was subject to no one. Unique she was in having garnered respect and affection from the Bedouins and other denizens of the desert.

Her feats are legend, which include foreseeing both Faisal and Abdullah as monarchs.

Despite mixed reviews, the film, Queen of the Desert, is a feast for the eyes and ears (an unbelievably rich and sonorous soundtrack).

• compound complex
    compound complex

I wind my way down an endless tract of land; I have no intent but to take my mind off the numbness of endless inactivity. What landmarks could lead me home dissolve as vapor under a bIazing sun. Sights and sounds that once held me in their thrall fall upon jaded senses.

That old sense of adventure vacates a mind and a heart once filled with wonder over Nature's colors, textures, the highs and lows populating Earth and Sky.

Yet, nothing is lost. No, nothing important. Mother Nature has no concern for my paltry love and hate, my joy and despair. She moves forward and carries me gently along; and I gratefully accede to her reawakening of my languishing spirit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit