Is time moving faster?

by Fisherman 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Do you get the feeling that time is moving faster? What do you think?

• baker
  • scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I'm in New York City, of course time goes faster :-)

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

I'm in New York City, of course time goes faster

Even on the BQE?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Time goes by faster when you're getting old.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

As we get older each second, minute, hour, day, month, year, and decade becomes a smaller and smaller fraction of our entire experienced life, so yes, in a way, the speed of time relative to your personal perception is constantly getting faster.

• waton
    waton

Time is a dimension, not moving at all, but we are moving through it, and then we forget to take note, and with age become even more forgetful.

We live in the now, which bsw has zero length/duration, and only our sluggish brains give the smeared out effect of existence.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Of course time is getting faster , I`m living proof of that fact.

When I was a young kid every Xmas was like five years away.

When I was a teenager it came down to about 2years before the next one

Now that I`m in my 70`s the weeks last only about 2-3 days before the next week arrives .

If I live into my 90`s I`ll be living in the future and waiting for the past to catch up.

just saying.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Time is perception as well. As we live longer, our perception of time seems to go faster than it did during the first 20 years of our lives. That first twenty really seem to go on forever. From 40-60 the years seem to go much faster and the answer seems to be in our perception of how time flows.

I like to think the last twenty or so will go very quickly, but those are the ones most of us dread the most. Not only in the strength and energy we lose, but in the loss of our friends, or spouses and other family members. We lose the ability to think and retain.

I have a friend who lived the first 62 years of his life becoming a 3-star admiral. Every star looked great and he'd stand in front of a mirror and say, "Man that star looks great! Another one would look even greater!" And with each one his power would grow. He was whisked in and out of doctors' offices. People held his door open. And when he retired, he said, he wanted to stay in Washington because that's where his friends were.

But that all came to an end. The day after he took those stars off, the friends stopped calling. The dinner parties dried up and he became another geriatric in a waiting room. He moved to North Carolina and played golf with other old men who dressed in clashing clothes. He didn't lose his wife, fortunately and she was with him to the day he died, but every thing he thought was important to him he lost. And when those admirals and generals add those stars, part of them see what's coming.

That's why I hope a part of us becomes wiser and doesn't lose hope. Because if that's all there is, you might as well save yourself the trouble, as did a neighbor of mine. Suffering under the ravages of cancer, he wrote his wife a note while she was away, and taped it to the door leading out to the garage. Then he sat down in a chair and shot himself in the head. Very sad.

It didn't surprise anyone, though, as he was a member of the local Hemlock Society. So it's all in perception of time, I think.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Cold Steel , I dont think that was a very loving thing he put his wife through .For her to come home read the note on the door and then find his body with a bullet hole in his head would be extremely traumatic for her.

He could have just OD on pills that would have looked more like a natural death and saved her the trauma of finding him the way she did.

just my 2 cents worth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit