What is the mood in the Kingdom Halls nowadays?

by JH 40 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

When I used to go the meetings in the late 80's, the mood was good, knowing that the end was close. Later on in the 90's while I still attended once in a while, people were starting to be less zealous and were starting to put their needs before those of the Kingdoms. People started to buy houses, instead of living in apartements, they were buying nicer cars, taking vacations far away, and mostly, the women started to work, to help pay for the better life style they were living. There is nothing wrong wanting to have a better life style, but for the witnesses it seemed that the priority at first was preaching and not being well off.

For those who still attend meetings, in what mood are the people in? Are they getting impatient that the end isn't coming? Are they just attending meetings like little robots, or do you sense that the love going to the meetings? Are they starting to doubt more and more that they won't see the end in their life time, or are they just as sure that the end is very close?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I haven't been to a meeting in four years. And it was just weird there. I knew I could never fit in there again. Before that, I had not been for like three years and then it was just to a memorial. Not what you are looking for but I thought you needed a comment to start off your thread.

Heather

• benext
    benext

Although I am happily celebrating my 2nd year of meetingless life, I know many who still attend and it is totally robotic. They still are waiting for that something that's "just around the corner."

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    When I used to go the meetings in the late 80's, the mood was good, knowing that the end was close.

Know what? When I used to go the meetings in the late 60's, the mood was good, knowing that the end was close. It's always like that when you're new, before the disillusionment sets in and you start to realize how crappy a life you will really have as a JW.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Are they just attending meetings like little robots

This is how it is at our old KH, according to my JW buddy. Service meeting attendance is about 25 to 40 each week. When we were there, it was 65-100..................7 years ago.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

ROBOTIC --is a good word and way of describing the mood IMHO. Attendance is way down -- no question -- elders are alweays talking about it -- also field service meeting attendance down. Those that do turn up -- it is because the yare on Robotic control - auto-pilot.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Well, I don't go to meetings, but I did spend three full days at the district convention last year. The DC is probably a better indicator, because there are about 50 congregations there, and I see everyone that I know, most of whom don't know I'm inactive.

My observation is that the end is pretty much forgotten. My friends kids are getting jobs and buying cars and dating and stuff. My friends are talking about vacations, their kids growing up, and stuff. The group appears to have forgotten that they are waiting for the end of the world.

• drawcad_1
    drawcad_1

there are a few different classes of people who go. there are the ones that go due to family members being in. they are the ones that are robotic, can't wait to leave. there are the new converts and the elderly that can't wait for the end to come. But, there is a class that just likes the fellowshipping, and this is a better place to meet that the pshyciatric ward.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    The group appears to have forgotten that they are waiting for the end of the world

You can't hold your breath forever!

• dustyb
    dustyb

iono, everyone is in their own little groups at our KH. The elders are all up at the front talking about their "eldres business". Then you have the completely clueless people that go and hand out books, then you have all the moms talking about. All the deadheads singing out of ignorance and everything else....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit