Dating and being chapperoned

by dustyb 29 Replies latest jw friends

• dustyb
    dustyb

you can't even be alone in a public place anymore w/o a chapperone (which i've never had because i told them to bugger off). i can understand chapperones for some teenagers (like JW's who are immature). But if you are dating to get married there's no sense in having a chapperone, besides for the guy to get a change to whack it while we're doing our thing in the front seat

• Englishman
    Englishman

This chaperone thing came out in the early 60's. It was about as welcome as a turd in a swimming pool amongst us youngsters.

I was dating one lady, and her father insisted that her younger brother accompany us at all times, even when we went to the cinema. I used to give him a half-a-crown to sit at the front.

Englishman.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

half-a-crown ? Is that 1/8th of 1 pound sterling = 12.5 pence = 23 cents (US) at current exchange rates - -remind me e-man - I am not well up on old english currency -- I do remember there being about 10 French Franks per GB Pound and 250 Spanish Pesatas - am I correct?

• Meg
    Meg

What got me was the fact that I wasn't allowed to hang out with boys at all even in groups without an adult chaperone, but this was only after a visit from one young new CO who was completely off his rocker. He actually said from the platform that boys and girls should not hang out together in groups unchaperoned regardless of where they were, the mall, the movies, etc. Up until his visit, I had always been allowed to do this. I don't understand how they can say that it is wrong for a group of witness youths to go to the mall together!!

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Its not wrong. They're just controlling bastids! They are *so* afraid that one little slice of life will not be commented upon, or controlled by, them. Dorks. My brother, who is 40 years old, had to take my Mother on a date with him to the movies. He put his arm around the girl and my Mother elbowed him in the ribs. Geez.

CG

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

To prevent them from doing the "nasty". But most kids find the ways and means to avoid the dreaded chaperone . Thus...in our congregation there have been many disfellowshippings and public reproofs for fornication. Go figure .

• Garnet
    Garnet

I remember when I started studying, I was about 18 - my boyfriend at the time was already a witness. We were not allowed to sit next to each other, hold hands, or even admit to dating. I remember all the phone calls he used to get from all the "single baptized" girls in the hall that were interested in him, but he had to kindly tell them that he was not interested. We secretly dated forever until I was baptized. We always went out unchaparoned because I refused to have one. Noone was going to tell me that I was an adult and had to have someone "make sure" that I didn't have sex in the movie theater! The funny thing is, every time we went out alone together, we always saw other people from our congregation, so we were duck and covering the whole time! I wasn't going to have sex in a public place with my boyfriend, I think that for the younger kids, it's a good rule, but for an adult - it's ridiculous! Esp. coming from "the world" it is!

Garnet

• La Capra
    La Capra

I knew a couple of teenaged-home-schooled-pioneers a bit younger than me that would tell stay home "sick" from the meetings, then hook up while everyone was at the meeting and out of the way. One of them told me about it a few years later. I really don't remember if they did ever get caught because I was out by then. But I was moderately impressed with their scheme. It had flaws, but it was still clever. Shoshana

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    "If two unmarried couples go out together on a date, there has to be a fifth person along to chaperone."

I suppose a third couple doesn't count?

Chaperoning, as it should be:

alt

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    stillajwexelder
    half-a-crown ? Is that 1/8th of 1 pound sterling = 12.5 pence = 23 cents (US) at current exchange rates

You were right up until the "12.5 pence" part. Back in the 60's, before currency reform, a pound sterling was 240 pence. So 1/8 of a pound was 30 pence, or roughly 60 cents at the time, I believe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit