Tips For Lurkers To Get Out

by minimus 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Strawberryfieldsforever
    Strawberryfieldsforever

I visited this site for a long time. I wanted to add my two cents, but was afraid. Afraid of what? Afraid of who? I now realize nobody can hurt me here. I feel safe just like I did after I got out from the JW's. It's hard, but I agree with Tashawaa. Find some friends to talk to. True friends. Friends who won't turn you in to the elders. I found some and it was such a relief to pour out my feelings. I was surprised how interested they were in my life and how I coped. It helped me to see that "worldly people" are loving. Much more so than the friends I had at the Kingdom Hall.

Strawberryfieldsforever

• seven006
    seven006

HS,

From my experience with You Know his reaction to C of C is not surprising at all. Robert HAS to see it the way he does because if he didn't he would completely loose who HE is. In the JW religion he is somebody. It defines his own self importance and without it, he is a nobody. Robert is a sharp guy and he rides on the back of the idiosyncrasies and eccentricity of the religion.

For Robert to be honest with himself and admit the religion is a cult he would have to be honest with himself and admit he is a phony. The only thing that can feed his enormous ego and keep him on the pedestal he has built for himself and sits so proudly on is the loopholes in the religions doctrines that allows people like Robert to put themselves in that elevated position. To deny the religion would be to deny his own self absorb life. Robert is way too insecure with who he is as a human to ever do that.

Dave

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

Strawberry - WELCOME!!!

Having friends outside the org helps in a BIG way. Talking... seeing that "worldly" is just a negative word for "normal". It helps to start seeing the world in a positive way, not the drilled in negative way (living in the last days, blah blah blah). Try doing a google search on the 1400s and tell me we're living in the worst time period ever!

Anyhoo... hope to hear more from you. I should talk. I've been on this board awhile and I'm still a "junior"

• seven006
    seven006

Min,

This is what I would say to JW lurkers. Think!

There are a few things the JW's say that convince the not so intuitive bible study or young born into JW that they are speaking the truth. One of them is their little speech about people outside of the religion warning them about the religion and saying it is wrong and staying in it would bring you religious persecution. When people do indeed make those statements to them a little light goes off in their head and they see this little trick as some kind of a god inspired prophesy. They think the JW's must be the true religion because people said exactly what the JW's said they would say.

This is nothing more than a little carnival palm readers trick to convince their paying sucker that they do have the power of seeing into the future and being the only god inspired voice. There was a time in history directly before Constantine did a little politically influenced flip flop and made the Christian religion the official religion of Rome, this statement had some validity. If a Christian admitted his convictions he was indeed persecuted. The JW's take this act of natural concern by friends and family and use it to convince their gullible listener they are right. They go on to convince their "interested one" that they might need to distance themselves from their current friends and family because of this verbal persecution and only associate with those who their friends and family have warned them about. This is a key ingredient in the recipe of creating a cult member. It is the same trick done by all cults to insure the exclusivity of their tight nit group as they take away the minds of their people and replace it with their own collective mind that demands complete obedience.

They seal this twisted cult trick by quoting a scripture that tells the newly converted one that they must choose between their unbelieving mother, father, son, daughter, husband or wife to become a true Christian. At his point, they have redefined the words "love" and "family" and given a new interpretation of them that they now have complete control over because they now have complete control over your mind.

Once this is done, it makes the now converted cult member completely dependent on their new religious social families words and thoughts. The transformation of making this cult their new exclusive family and friends by calling each other "brothers" and "sisters" just cements this born-with need for a triable environment. Once they have been persuaded to make this family conversion it is very hard to break from it and go back to a normal life. Born-in-to's have a much harder time getting out of a cult than those who were hooked by the carnival trick of preaching because their natural family is already a part of the collective thinking cult and they feel they have no place else to go.

To insure their mindless loyalty, they convince their members that reading or listing to anything that talks against their cult family are based on lies influenced by the devil. They also convince them that the smallest doubt they may develop toward the cult is from their own weakness caused by trying to use their own mind that has developed a tiny crack in it and will allow the devil to creep in and destroy them. This develops a psychological batted for those who have an instinctive need to be honest with themselves and explore things that the sliver of individuality they were born with starts to pop up and identify itself.

When this inherent honesty is brought out in the open in a manner to investigate things a person sees as wrong, they then get the speech about how evil independent thinking is and how god wants them to go back the mindless state of blind acceptance. To be a real thinking human and use your own intelligence and logical sense of right and wrong is immediately put down with warnings of everlasting death, destruction, and abandonment by your only true family.

The JW's warnings are now coming back to kick them in the ass. As independent thinking people who have the ability to be honest with themselves, exJW's warn the middle of the road JW that JW's will persecute them if they disagree with just "one tiny thing" written by the WTBTS. It is only the leaders of the cult who are allowed to "present" mistakes as "new light" without fear of repercussions. The average JW can be disfellowshipped as an apostate for "presenting" the same issue as a doubt before the cult leaders are forced to recognize their mistake and deceptively change it to cover their lack of divine inspiration. Many on this board have had exactly that happen to them.

We will also encourage you to be an independent thinker and question and explore those feeling of doubt you have inside. We will not tell you to read or listen to only what we say and write. We will encourage you to explore anything you wish that will help you discover the truth about the truth. We will not convince you that our little group is the one and only group that will bring you happiness, we are simply a stepping stone to aide you in your own self discovery. We will encourage you to open your eyes and see what this beautiful world has to offer.

We will simply help you discover who you are as a person, not as a mindless, opinion-less, cog in the watchtower publication company cult machine that operates on fear and ignorance of their people. We invite questions and opinion that explore all issues of the JW religion and encourage you to discuss them with an open mind. If you wish to keep your mind closed and hide your individualism and inner honesty, then stay exactly were you are.

Dave

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

...Hop on the bus Gus,

...Makin' new plans Sam,

...Just get yourself FREE! (And what Dave said)

-BONEZZ

• willyloman
    willyloman

Phew! Dave, truer words were never spoken.

• seven006
    seven006

Willyloman,

Thanks, I'm just trying to get into a writing mood.

Good topic Min!

Take care,

Dave

• Azalo
    Azalo

Who is You Know? I've read some of his/her weird apocalyptic posts and was just wondering as some seem to know who he/she is.

Didnt mean to hijack thread...

as per topic, I think that if you are lurking you have already made the most important step which is to open your mind.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

I have to agree with hillary_step on that one. I have read all 3 books and more, but CoC was the first.

You either believe it or you don't. If you believe it and you remain a JW, well you're a lost cause.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Dave,

The only thing that can feed his enormous ego and keep him on the pedestal he has built for himself and sits so proudly on is the loopholes in the religions doctrines that allows people like Robert to put themselves in that elevated position.

Apparently he used to serve as an elder but in recent times his new congregation would not countenance him serving at all. Of course, he may have hypnotized them into submission by now. Despite what is said Robert is an extremely intelligent, if deluded man, and I used to enjoy the grapples and tussles he bought to the Board. When he and Alan got into their twenty-seven page debates, it was even more entertaining than TJ trying to remember what he said five minutes previously...lol

No one could write the words 'slithering apostates' with quite the venom that Robert did...lol

Take care - HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit