'Serving where the need is greater' - who does it benefit?

by eyeslice2 17 Replies latest jw friends

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Isn't the need much greater in places like Pakistan, Iran, China, India and Saudi Arabia? These places are a big chunk of the world's population, yet close to zero preaching. Pretty sure you can walk the streets in any of these places and ask random people if they every spoke to a JW, and the answer will always be no.

If this work was truly backed by God, then there should be no fear in openly preaching in these places. God would make sure that JWs will complete his work in safety.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

We have some family that became "need greaters." It was an excuse to get out of dodge. Once things got bad where they are, the need greating becomes a place to escape to. One thing they found out was, their problems follow them and then they move off to another place that "needs them."

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

We used to jokingly call it "Serving Where the Need is More Fun" because everyone who didi it was typically young and single and they always went where there were sunny beaches to be had.. No one ever went to Nome Alaska for instance. They were often young sisters just out of high school who weren't going to college and or didn't want to get a real job. They got to get away from realitiy and were given Kudos from their peers at the same time.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

Surfing where the greed is great.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Someone recently started an interesting post about this, apologies for not remembering who it was.

Aussies love Thailand because it's close and cheap. No surprise that quite a few JW couples live over there for a while, getting jobs like teaching English or whatever, to support themselves.

Of course, in JW land, there always has to be a theocratic reason for making such a big move, so helping and supporting the local cong, or becoming a need-greater (gag) is the 'real' reason for the move to the tropics.

• eyeslice2
    eyeslice2

The other thing that was mentioned at least two or three times, was the problems those moving to that part of the world face; financial problems (i.e. running out of cash), learning a new language and pressures on the family.

Apparently, quite a few families have split up, often with the husband going off with a local, younger model. I guess that happens anywhere, but a significant change like moving to a new country can be a catalyst to make it happen sooner rather than later.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

A lot of lazy jw kids go to serve ( yea lol) in 3rd world countries as a way to avoid the real world. Most go to exotic locations where the "livin' is easy"!

My best friend's daughter and S I L are in China where they teach English to the locals and live large. They basically do nothing and don't have anyone checking up on them! Praising jah the easy way!

just saying!

• asp59
    asp59

Haha yeah theres probably been need in greanland and Sibirien tru the years. But if i pay my own flight i choose were to preach. That should not be the case for Gilead student that have everything paid for.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit