JW Women

by Sassy 17 Replies latest jw friends

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Sassy ... great thread!

Yes, I was the invisible woman, too. I had an unbelieving husband therefore I was a nobody.

Jahna ... welcome to the forum! My heart goes out to you. What a dreadful experience. Yes, I saw how non-existent the love and compassion was from the elders, when I got in trouble. They could not wait to "conclude" the matter ... that is the exact word they used when they left their loving message on my phone that they were having a judicial committee meeting ... after I divorced my cheating alcoholic husband and took up ballroom dancing. My therapist figures one of the reasons I got involved with my dance partner was to get outta that nutso religion. I think she's one smart therapist!

ESTEE

• Sassy
    Sassy

I think you are one enthusiastic and enjoyable woman to have around ESTEE. I always enjoy your posts! No more invisible for you!!

I think it is really great when we can get out from being under that 2nd class citizen state and really experience life as an individual, not as a part of someone else's identity.. Something is SO WRONG with that!

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

This is so true, although I was married to an unbeliever, so some of this was not a problem for me. The other thing was, I am so dammmed independent I always looked those elders smack in the eye no matter what. For that act I found that they were always watching me ready for me to do something. I never ever gave them a reason for a meeting, though, but I know that they all considered me "uppidy" and "above my station."

I was raised in the west and the culture where I was did not have much social status, hence I grew up not believing I had any "betters." To this day I cannot stand it when an employer talks about their "subordinates." I was always being told that I was "too independent" and that was a fault (not to mention the stubborn thing).

Yes I had plenty of other experience with the woman being less routine, the elders visited occasionally to try to bring my husband into the borg. So, unfortunately he (already controlling and abusive) discovered that god wanted men to be in control and the woman to be subordinate. Well let me tell you THAT helped. But as you all know, Jehovah doesn't believe in divorce. So I endured it for 15 years.

But, I ESCAPED both that marriage and the borg and I can now be as uppidy as I want to. And let me tell you, ladies, we are SOMETHING! Wish I could remember the words to that old song, "I am Woman, Hear me Roar!!!"

lol

I'm truly sorry that all of us had the experience we did, we should have not had to go through it. However, having said that, the experience has made me the person I am today and dammit, I am all right. I know you all are too.

Gretchen

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

I Am Woman

I Am Woman

-Artist: Helen Reddy from "Helen Reddy's Greatest Hits": EMI ST 11467
    -peak Billboard position # 1 for 1 week in 1972
    -Words and Music by Helen Reddy and Ray Burton

I am woman, hear me roar
    In numbers too big to ignore
    And I know too much to go back an' pretend
    'cause I've heard it all before
    And I've been down there on the floor
    No one's ever gonna keep me down again

CHORUS
    Oh yes I am wise
    But it's wisdom born of pain
    Yes, I've paid the price
    But look how much I gained
    If I have to, I can do anything
    I am strong (strong)
    I am invincible (invincible)
    I am woman

You can bend but never break me
    'cause it only serves to make me
    More determined to achieve my final goal
    And I come back even stronger
    Not a novice any longer
    'cause you've deepened the conviction in my soul

CHORUS

I am woman watch me grow
    See me standing toe to toe
    As I spread my lovin' arms across the land
    But I'm still an embryo
    With a long long way to go
    Until I make my brother understand

Oh yes I am wise
    But it's wisdom born of pain
    Yes, I've paid the price
    But look how much I gained
    If I have to I can face anything
    I am strong (strong)
    I am invincible (invincible)
    I am woman
    Oh, I am woman
    I am invincible
    I am strong

FADE
    I am woman
    I am invincible
    I am strong
    I am woman
  • Sassy
    Sassy
    Yes I had plenty of other experience with the woman being less routine, the elders visited occasionally to try to bring my husband into the borg. So, unfortunately he (already controlling and abusive) discovered that god wanted men to be in control and the woman to be subordinate. Well let me tell you THAT helped.

oh yes.. the situation where the unbelieving mate is told about headship! I have had friends who endured that.. Here the man was not a JW but he was told enough to use the headship thing against her and even REPORTED her to the elders if she wasn't submissive enough!!

Glad to have you on board Gretchen..

• Purple
    Purple

Fantastic thread Sassy!

Welcome to all the newbies too and I am also sorry to hear about your experiences but Gretchen is right..they helped us see what we were going through enough to break free.

Sassy I never knew that about married sisters and elders and not being able to speak to them without the hubs present. OMG who do they think they are???????????????? I was so shcoked when I read that. I guess sometimes you can look at someone's life and envy it, not realising the hell someone can be going through. I always imagined that married sisters with hubs in the troof had lots of support and such. Gosh well you live and learn everyday! Thanks for that insight!

• Jahna
    Jahna

Thannk you everyone for the warm welcome. I look forward to reading and sharing more with you all in the future. Jahna

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

JW wives have no rights, no voice.

It's the 'old boys network' in that organization!

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit