Single in the troof

by Purple 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Purple
    Purple

Here's something I am wondering. I was alone in the troof (married but partner not in troof) female without children. The ignorance and arrogance of so called sisters was outstounding. I was made to feel a nothing, a failure because I could not bring my partner to the troof plus we had no children to add to the numbers.

In another post I made the comment that I never felt as alone as when I was with the congregation. The elders really did not know what to do with me as I kind of had a mind of my own and did not necessarily follow their lead. Well lets face it if I did that meant I would have to not talk to anyone but fellow elders, shun half the congregation and be totally hypocritical!

Other single sisters felt the same way to which I thought was interesting and I was relived to find out I was not alone in the opinion I had. I tried reading accounts of single sisters in the truth and read accounts in the Awake about it...they were few and far between too.

So what I am wondering is does anyone have an opinion about single sisters in the truth and how they were/are treated? Was it my imagination that I was generally shoved aside, not invited to the many social gatherings ever, not invited out in field service and such. I often used to get comments like "Oh I never thought of inviting you" or "I didnt think about you". That was unless someone wanted something. Its amazing but once I got a car I started to get invites to places, mainly so I could pick up people and drop them off again.

In one newly formed congregation I was in, my partner and I had literally half the congregation around for a meal and many friendships were formed because of this. Yet we got back not one invitation and my husband (not a witness) said no more. I got upset because I was doing it to help the congregation to form not to get invitations but I did take his meaning on board and was tying to "obey" him like a good witness wife should do.

So if you were a single sister (no partner in troof or just single) in the troof did you ever feel like this or were you ever made to feel like this? Did you know of single sisters who had similar feelings and so on? Or was this something totally unique to me? Was I being unrealistic to expect that I was a fully baptised member of the congregation and a part of Jehovah's family and should have been treated as such?

Now I understand why this happened as the cong is just imperfect humans hiding behind god's word and using it to justify weaknesses and so on. Many were incapable of loving someone who was an individual, different from the main stream and so on. Not meaning to offend anyone here either.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Being raised in a "religiously divided household" I was rarely invited to all the "get together" type events that were going on. Despite repeated messages from the organization to "include such ones" this was never the case in practice.

A single sister here also suffers the misfortune of being "set up" with every available man in a 10 congregation radius despite them being "not her type". People just can't keep their noses out of things.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I've been in both situations. Raised in a divided household and many times saw 'families' in the congregations get invited to things that we weren't, because #A it was uncomfortable inviting my father to things since he wasn't a witness and he had a drinking problem or #B because they were doing couple things and they wanted 'witness couple things' so they left mom out a lot. I remember one assembly where several of us in the congregation stayed in one road side motel and I walked into the motel to find my mother crying because every family in the congregation had been invited that was staying at the hotel but us.

I've also been in the 'single' not married category and found how I would be left out there too.. even 'so called close friends' would plan trips and things right in front of me and when I said it sounded wonderful, I wanted in, I was told I couldn't go, couples only..

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Actually once my sister and I discussed this topic.

Her quote, "It'd be the easiest religion in the world to be a part of if you're married, your husband was good ministerial material, and you had a couple kids. Otherwise it was hell".

I remember several admonitions to include the single ones of the congregation. But they always had to resort to hanging out with each other. Nothing like targeting a group for fake pitty--ooh goodie!

As I got to be an old maid, 20 with no prospects of a JW husband, I noticed people trying to pair me off with what was left of the single brothers. All I can say is--eeesh!

I am so thankful to be out, if for no other reason then I won't ever have to marry a JW man.

An ex-jw I could deal with...LOL

• Maverick
    Maverick

May I, as a man, make a comment?

I was single, then married, then single again with the JW's.

The impression I got is that a woman was considered "incomplete" without a man. The underlining reasoning was that Adam was on the Earth alone for a time, but Eve was there for him. She, being made in his image and he in Gods. The sisters were there to serve the men. A good female JW kept her mouth shut, and did her work without complaint. If she was very good, God would bless her with a nerdy JW husband. Any woman who went outside the "truth" was even weaker than the average JW sister.

Terms like Elder's wife, CO's wife...wife of Elder Geeky and so forth help show how the women were viewed.

I hated going to gatherings because I felt like it was a BOD gathering...(Brian On Display). Being an MS business owner, with a home and an education made me prime meat with the sisters. Until my ex-wife got reinstated and I because the worst abuser, bastard in the South!

So you are right Purple, single sisters and ones with "unbelieving mates ARE lower than dirt in the J-dud world! Maverick

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    Now I understand why this happened as the cong is just imperfect humans hiding behind god's word and using it to justify weaknesses and so on.

Drug-addicted thieves are imperfect humans

Alcoholics might be imperfect humans

But the cong - outright bl***y nasty,

hiding behind the image of themselves their god.

• Gadget
    Gadget
    Was it my imagination that I was generally shoved aside, not invited to the many social gatherings ever, not invited out in field service and such. I often used to get comments like "Oh I never thought of inviting you" or "I didnt think about you". That was unless someone wanted something. Its amazing but once I got a car I started to get invites to places, mainly so I could pick up people and drop them off again.

I was never a single sister, but after my divorce in 99 I moved to another hall. At first I got on great with everyone and had a lot of friends, but as they started getting married I noticed this happening more and more. At the time I was not 'scripturally free to marry' so I didn't fit nicely into any of the groups, always gave an odd number being out with a group of couples.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I was thinking, actually I don't think that the single/or with a non JW and feeling 'left out' or ignored or singled out is not just sisters but brothers as well..

unless of course married sisters are trying to do the match up thing.. but then they will try to invite the sister of choice too.. and that is a whole different story..

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Yeah, it's a wierd position to be in. Brothers didn't like me once they discovered that I would not submit to them, and the sisters treated me like a slut, because at 25 I had no hubby, no kids, and could come home as late as I wanted. I never got invited anywhere after I moved out on my own.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Being single was not so hard because where I lived there were several single sisters and I was friends with several married people. Lots of times it would be the 4 couples and me going out or me going with out with one of the couples or on vacation. 2 of the sisters were regular pioneers with me and 3 of the married sisters and I were in the same bookstudy. Oftentimes, a certain brother that I was not dating would come along with us and it looked like a couples gathering but that other brother and I were just friends.

The isolation occurred when I was the wife of a df'd brother. Then I was not included, no visits to my house, no social life. I was not in my home congregation and it was all so disturbing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit