Sending "Love" from the Platform

by RubaDub 23 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I have never been able to understand the "The Brothers from XYZ Cogregation are sending their love" at the end of a public talk.

It always seemed to occur when the speaker was from a far-away place. Then, we all have to clap when he rhetorically asks "Do you want to send our love to them?"

They never seem to do it when it is a near-by congregation .. only one far away.

I guess the farther away they are, the more we love them.

***** Rub a Dub

• Meg
    Meg

Interesting observation.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Because they've got the clap.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

So is it "Absence makes the heart grow fonder", or "Out of sight, out of mind"?

• maxwell
    maxwell

Never noticed a correlation to the distance from the congregation, but interesting observation. I always found the little procedure a bit odd. We can send our love by clapping to this statement. In the last congregation that I attended, when an elder would be visiting a congregation on Sunday, they would announce it at the preceding Service Meeting and the person announcing it would often ask if we wanted to send our love along with the brother to the next congregation and everyone would clap.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, some areas do send love to a nearby congregation but then get into big doodoo. In the area where I live, it is an unwritten rule that you not send love back and forth between local congregations, only congregations far away.

Blondie

(unwritten rules are the way the WTS keeps real control)

• minimus
    minimus

That was another one of those things that aggravated the **** out of me. Either I clapped so half-heartedly that it became noticeable or I didn't applaud at al.

• sandy
    sandy

How funny. I forgot all about that stuff.

• Faust
    Faust
    How funny. I forgot all about that stuff.

ROFL, me too. That's weird how it works out. I can't believe I had forgotten about such a silly practice. At the very least, it served to wake me up after the person on the stage was over only to be washed over with dread thinking that another hour was yet left . In the congregations I attended, I don't think we had any unwritten rules about being unable to send our love to a local congregation. Even if we both happened to go to the same Kingdom Hall . What's funny is this thread reminded me of a completely unrelated event in which I know one of the elder's wife who would show particular displeasure or spite of someone by clapping at the visitor (or whoever was assigned that day) with only two fingers (ie. two pinkies, two index fingers, etc.). It always cracked me up seeing her do it. She was never counciled on it either since she was an elder's wife .

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Well, there must have been some local variations, here. Whenever I gave a public talk in a different congregation, I always brought the love of my home cong and took theirs back with me to be announced at the following Service meeting - even if it was just the cong that shared our hall with us.

This particular custom gets pretty annoying after a while. It is really just a ritual.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit