love of money

by road to nowhere 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

We are asked to not love money, work OT (I was never asked because the company had money to give away, rather had a job that needed done), no extra schooling.

Then when we read the literature they make a big deal of the ones who are rich. So proud of Abraham, David, and on. Remember Lydia? The comment was that "she was RICH" And Abraham did not live in a Walmart tent despite what the CO tells us. The comment at a convention about generosity; donations haven't fallen off, no mention of helping less fortunate ones. I do not comsider the GB to be the "least of Christ's brothers"

They sure use the money any of the better off ones have.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Indeed. I am 100% sure that Abraham did not live in a Walmart tent

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes, throughout the bible, Jehovah's servants have often been described as being "blessed with riches" etc....

Yet somehow nowadays it is derided by the society? Unless of course those riches go to them!

• waton
    waton
    do not comsider the GB to be the "least of Christ's brothers"

road to nowhere: right on. Giving to a billion $ corporation is not what Jesus had in mind when he drove home the point that you do not know who any, certainly the anonymous least of his brothers is supposed to be.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The whole thing is a scam. They preach stupid hardship, yet they expect everyone to give all to joke-hova. They do this with all control, including that which money can give. You own something, joke-hova doesn't want you to have it. Rather, that thing wants you to rely on it so you will not be able to stray far from it. One mistake, joke-hova cuts you off and you are left destitute and in lousy health.

Rather, it is better to seek a balance. And not by going in field circus and to all the boasting sessions, either. You cannot enjoy your wealth if you are always working your butt off trying to acquire it. On the other hand, if you continually pass up opportunity to earn money, you are going to find yourself not being able to get things you really need. You need your bills paid, you need your necessities taken care of properly. And, you should be able to have those "wants" taken care of, with the proviso that one should not pay more with time and health for them than they are really worth.

Being a jokehovian witless is quite costly. How much does it cost to maintain your vehicle to always do field circus? Many drive substantial distances each way to calls, often on roads in lousy condition. Others spend much time doing stop and go in the city, adding more wear on the car. Suit dry-cleanings, your daily poisonburger, and regular donations also add up. Grand boasting sessions often involve either extensive travel each way or motel rooms, both of which are expensive. (And that doesn't even include those who wasted the money on one of those Israel missions or go on some other stupid mission for joke-hova).

Seems you need a full time job just to pay the expenses without going into debt--do that, and it is even worse.

• stillin
    stillin

I think being poor and happy is better than being rich and unhappy. But it really isn't that way. There aren't any guarantees, either way. I would rather be rich and unhappy than poor and unhappy. I like helping people. How can I do that if I don't have anything to help them with?

Jesus fed people miraculously. He apparently did not have a job after he started getting serious about his ministry. Things just "happened" for him. Who wouldn't be happy about that?

I have a job. That seems to be the way things work. I don't want to freeload off of others. If God comes along and says "Stillin, quit your job, start living in the moment, just talking to people and trying to be wise." I guess I would do it. But that hasn't happened, and if it did I would wonder if perhaps I had lost my f<\king mind

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

STILLIN:

I know it's nice to read about the time of Jesus and imagine you can do the same thing he did today. The problem is you can't. Not really.

The whole planet is different. You just can't be itinerant and live off the land - unless it's yours. Now, land is either owned privately or it belongs to the government. You'd be accused of poaching. Even fishing requires a permit. Some Witnesses make the error of thinking they can act like it's Bible times or Depression era America where people bartered. Yeah? How do they pay their car insurance?

Jesus also had a profession of carpenter so who is to say that he didn't do a small job here and there when he was in his ministry?

• stillin
    stillin

LHG, sure! Jesus didn't' need a drivers license, health insurance etc. He was getting to be quite the celebrity so people had him over to dinner, some. It seems like one of the Bible writers would have mentioned Jesus building a deck for some governor or something, but they didn't. He got money out of fish's mouths.

If it weren't an issue in today's world, I wouldn't mind walking around, being wise and sassing the phonies, and getting by like that. But God hasn't told me to get started yet so I'm keeping my job.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

STILLIN:

Ha ha, I don't think God's going to tell you that and you might go hungry!

Doesn't John 21:25 say that Jesus did so many things the scrolls could not contain them??... So, I'm sure a man of many skills like Jesus might very well have done a job like maybe fixing some poor widow's cabinet without it becoming well known.

I believe that Jesus would be revolted (as I am) by today's televangelist types and other con artists. I don't think he would be subsisting on handouts without doing something for people in return.

The reason I feel this way is because of how he spoke to the hypocrites of his time and also what he did by overturning the tables in the temple.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Still in I like helping people. How can I do that if I don't have anything to help them with?

Nail meet head.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit