Kleenex Head Covering

by jwundubbed 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

When my son got baptized, I just couldn't bring myself to wear a head covering. It was demeaning and demoralizing. One more nail in the coffin of the JW cult.

Looking back, it still puzzles me that I stayed in for 42 years. I was a true believer. Ultimately, the cognitive dissonance very nearly killed me.

• WeatherLover
    WeatherLover

Watchtower loves to make false analogies. I remember one time when headship in marriage was discussed, the speaker said that a marriage is like a ship. A ship has only one captain (the husband) but that doesn't mean the engineer (the wife) is any less important. What's ridiculous about the analogy is that a woman can captain a ship too! Also, what qualifies them to compare marriage to a ship? I think a much better analogy would be to compare marriage to a business run by two partners who each have a 50% share.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

My Dad wasn't a JW and one time he walked in the front door in the middle of our family bible study. My Mom took off one of her slippers and balanced it on her head and sent my sister into the kitchen to grab a clean dish towel.

Mom thought she was supposed to win Dad over with her "fine" conduct. There was his wife and 4 kids all staring at him as if he were some intruder. My Dad, with a WTF look on his face, rolled his eyes and walked off. Talk about making someone feel like and outsider, in his own home. That's exactly what the JW religion did to my Dad. He was outnumbered, and basically had his family hijacked from him.

• Butyoucanneverleave
    Butyoucanneverleave

Here's something I always wondered. How come sisters don't need to wear a head covering when commenting or giving talks? They would be in the presence of baptized males. The longer that I'm out, the crazier all of that seems to me. And I really believed it.

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

@Butyoucanneverleave, I think the reasoning may be that when a sister answers or gives a talk (as part of the theocratic ministry school) they are learning rather than teaching. But your point is sound.

Why then, don't the sisters have to cover their heads when preaching or having a bible study? And why, for the love of God, if a woman must cover her head... why aren't women taught to carry head coverings that give them just a tiny amount of dignity. Why can't a woman have any dignity at all?

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    My Mom took off one of her slippers and balanced it on her head and sent my sister into the kitchen to grab a clean dish towel.
    Mom thought she was supposed to win Dad over with her "fine" conduct. There was his wife and 4 kids all staring at him as if he were some intruder. My Dad, with a WTF look on his face, rolled his eyes and walked off.

LOLOL 😂

What a fine witnes was given!

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I have to laugh at that slipper thing, it is funny. Your unbelieving mate walks into the room and you put a slipper on your head for a covering to show subjection to men, that your not as worthy as men are. Just wondering, was it one of those fuzzy slippers?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

As someone mentioned about elders wives, ( and I will say this over and over). The women I knew that were so keen to do that rubbish were the ones who wore the trousers in the marriage . It was almost a perverse jw game to them.

You never saw the brow beaten sister, always silent, head down in shame with the black eye at the back of the hall as one that loved to get her tea towel out.

So perverse. Put a slipper on when unbelieving hubby walks in but nothing whenbyou pray. Jewish women for whom the OT was written don't show the top of their head to GOD when they pray - never mind whose present - it's about respect for GOD. Even the men wear skull caps when praying, teaching or in synagogue as it's about respect toward God.

In the middle east they have an obsession with hair ( which is why Mrs Merkel was removed from an orthodox magazine), not as the leader of europe but coz she showed her hair!....of course jw's have got that obsession a little bit, but as usual utterly confused eg arse about face and don't allow beards!!

BUT there is no doubt in mind jw women are the worst treated and culturally it's getting worse.

Even in the Koran it says women and men are EQUAL. They also can inherit property and be rulers. Jewish women have it worse but can be judges, prophetesess and rabbis.

Due to Pauls ravings Christian women are in the worst position, even though his most mysoginistic writings( Timothy etc) were actually not written by him according to the majority of academics. Even so In the NT there are female apostles ( means messenger or envoi) and diakonos - deacon - or ministerial servant. But in Watchtower as women we have only head cook and bottle washer.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Lets face it , in JW land women wear the pants ,they just let men think they do ,hang on I think this fact also applies to men and women everywhere .

As my Father in law used to say "Women are sitting on a Gold Mine" and its " Different methods they employ to extract the wealth

As for head coverings women just go along with that so that men think they are in subjection to them.

Think about it.

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

I never saw an elder's wife wear a head covering. My family was never part of those inner circles. So, I only ever saw the beaten down woman wearing a head covering, using a tea towel, a magazine, a shoe, a spoon, or whatever random thing was handy. There probably were women who did that so that people would see how perverse it is. But consider the context. Women didn't do that when a man was present because the man could take the lead. They did it in front of each other and in front of children or teenagers. They didn't do it in front of anyone with any real power.

And to those of you who read that and laugh... that is my point. What exactly is so funny about that? I mean, take a moment to think about how that must feel to be that person looking so very ridiculous and doing so because they think that is how they are honoring God. Imagine how that poor woman with the slipper on her head must have felt to actually put that on her head in front of her husband... in front of her children. I really do not see what is funny about that. Not at all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit