Disassociated

by Euphemism 40 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

For those without access to this information:

w60 3/1 pp. 159-160 Questions from Readers

What should a congregation committee do in the case of one who has committed acts deserving being put on probation or disfellowshiped and who now claims that in the light of what The Watchtower, August 1, 1958, had to say about valid and invalid baptisms, his baptism was not a valid one?

We well know that Christendom professes to be Jehovah?s organization and in the new covenant with him. It has never renounced that relationship, although it is a false claim and pretense. Yet because of the appearance that Christendom puts on before the world and the demands that it makes according to its boastful claims, Jehovah God will judge Christendom just the same as if she were in actual covenant relationship with him. She will be judged unfaithful and punished accordingly because she has acted hypocritically and brought reproach upon his name.

Likewise, if an individual who has made a profession of dedication to God through Christ and after the baptismal talk submits to water baptism and then continues to associate with the congregation, even though spasmodically, claiming to be a dedicated, baptized member of the congregation and never renouncing that relationship with the congregation, then that individual has to be judged by the congregation according to the appearance of things that is being offered by this person.

The congregation credits the individual with honesty and with having intelligently entered into a full membership in the congregation by virtue of dedication and baptism. The congregation is not God, who is able to read the heart, nor does it have supernatural gifts as did Peter and other apostles so as to know whether the individual is earnest and sincere and is not dishonest and hypocritical. If the individual permits himself to be accepted by the congregation upon the basis of the congregation?s own understanding and view of the matter, then this individual subjects himself to be judged and dealt with according to the standards that the congregation owns up to as found in the Word of God.

If, after the individual commits a wrong that deserves disfellowshiping, the individual first then disclaims having actually been what he has all along pretended to be and what he has let the congregation think he is, then he certainly is trying to take advantage of the congregation and is trying to crawl out from underneath responsibility and due consequences for his acts. He cannot now properly claim that he was not really dedicated and that his baptism was all a mistake and that in reality he never was a member of the congregation and of the New World society and so cannot be chastened by or expelled from it.

This particularly follows in the case of such a one?s making a confession. If inside himself he did not count himself a member of the congregation, then why make a confession to the congregation in the first place? An undedicated, unbaptized person is not obliged to confess all his sins and wickedness that he committed before dedication to the congregation and ask their forgiveness. All that is necessary is that he clean up his life, then make a dedication and act in harmony with that dedication and present himself for baptism.

But whether confessing or not, when a person is found guilty of misconduct he must be dealt with according to the appearance he gave those of the New World society and must therefore be put on probation or disfellowshiped as the situation may call for. If after he has been reinstated he still is convinced that he had not made a dedication before his baptism and it therefore was invalid, he should, if he has not already done so, make an intelligent, binding dedication to God now that he has repented and proved his repentance by works befitting such and then he should be baptized. We cannot trifle with Jehovah God. This is a serious matter and should be treated seriously.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

That very article puts a heavy burden on those who would claim that their "imperfection" gives them leeway in defending the borg.

peace, euph and piph. It'll get better, I promise.

CZAR

• blondie
    blondie

Piph, I'm glad your parents are letting their love for you rule in their lives. Fear is a strong emotion too.

Blondie

• Sassy
    Sassy

ahhh.. I was sorry to hear that the announcement. For the same reasons as both of you, as you know, I do not want to be df'd or da'd either.. although I know that there would also be some sense of relief as Piph mentioned in feeling the break as one of JWs. This religion makes me so angry. My mom is treating me similar already to what Piph is experiencing. Our relationship is not the same as it was and I am not dfd or da'd yet. It does hurt.

I still can't believe that you guys do not have grounds for babtism nullification! That article Blondie brought in, really leans more towards one trying to use this in order to escape punishment from wrong doing. You guys havent' done anything wrong, except for stop believing! This goes right back to my comment in another thread about children being baptized at an early age have no idea what decision they are making for their future relationships with their loved ones if they change their mind.

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

Euph,

Tough situation, I sympathize. You might try doing what I did. Get some dirt on one of the elders or their family and "bargain". I did that until I was able to inform my family of my decision and was able to salvage my relationship with most of them.
    In the end the'ry going to have their way, but you don't have to make it be easy for them.
    Hope it all works out for you.

Thunder ==}>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Badger
    Badger

Dan and Meia:

I'm closely following you two...I'm going through the incubatory stages of it myself...my roommate knows I have a gf now, but he's encouraging me to do the deed. (little does he know...) I'm also going to register to vote this week. I know all cases are different, but I'm looking out for any hints/support/inspiration/warnings from you two...

hang in there...I know this is rough, but I'm sure there are some wonderful feelings (dis)associated with it, too!

• Princess
    Princess

Sorry you guys had to hear it after the fact. Sounds like it was a bit of a shock. They announced our DA a year ago. It's so damn irritating that they announce it like it was our idea and they didn't go on a witch hunt. Same with you. You didn't write a DA letter, neither did we. They told us they were going to announce our DA and we both said, "that is your decision, not ours." Makes no difference, they do whatever the hell they want to do. We did go for the announcement though. That was cool.

It will get better. It's so nice that you have each other too. So many have to go it alone.

Rachel

• Surreptitious
    Surreptitious
    So many have to go it alone.

So true.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Actually, the letter Dan wrote would be viewed as a letter of disassociation. It said they didn't believe anymore. Hard to escape that.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Sorry for your pain euph. You don't deserve to be shunned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit