Disassociated

by Euphemism 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Mulan... you're right, of course. What I actually appealed, technically, was the elders' decision to interpret our nullification letter as a disassociation.

I'm sure the decision was actually made in consultation with the Society (the announcement came right after the CO visit), so I didn't really expect anything from the appeal. It was just a stalling tactic (that didn't work).

ikhandi... Of course I'm glad to be free of the borg. I felt happy and free when we stopped going to meetings. I felt happy and free when we submitted our nullification letter. I felt happy and free when we decided to publish our identities on JWD.

But this isn't something that we decided to do. This is something the Borg decided for us. And as Mulan indicated, it may have an impact on our families.

nilfun, Narkissos, Sentinel, garybuss, drwtsn32... thanks. I knew it was probably inevitable, it's just somewhat disappointing when it actually happens. And it was a bit worse, because I thought that my appeal letter had actually succeeded in holding them off for a little while. So it was kind of a nasty shock to find out that I'd been unaware for almost a week.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Dan and Meia,

I'm sorry for the both of you and I hope the family contact continues.

You and Meia have done more good than you know. When I heard that you the big guy at JWZone left the Borg with Meia, it renewed my hope that my JW friend would leave too. Whenever a loyal JW turns opposer, it gives many of us hope that our family and friends may someday do the same. There may be others from the Zone who are lurking here because of something you may have said over there.

Devon

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hey Dan,

Sorry to hear it worked out that way. It's so strange that they can arbitrarily announce that you have disassociated yourself. It would be like a tribunal meeting to determine what color a person likes. You'd get a little letter that would advise you of their decision. "Hey, honey, apparently, I like blue!"

I'd be interested in knowing how things work if you decide to take the legal route. Would you sue for alienation of affections? How does that work?

SNG

• shamus
    shamus

Yes,

You really need to fly under the radar to still stay in good standing. When you have family in, it's nearly impossible to leave they're death grip.

Your only recourse is to say that you're depressed and wasn't thinking,,, but do you really want to do that?

I can't say what is the best for you.. only you know. Just hope that things go your way.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I'd be interested in knowing how things work if you decide to take the legal route

I haven't heard of that actually working. Maybe there are a few cases, but for the most part, the courts uphold a religion's right to make rules and to shun those who don't comply. It's sad, but true.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Wow, bummer. The fact that they didn't give you enough notice to react before they announced, shows you how they intend to play. Hardball, dirty fighting, Marquess of Queensbury rules? Bastards.

Odrade

• IWasDuped
    IWasDuped

((Dan and Meia)) So sorry! Makes me angry and sad at the same time. There is truly no dignified way to leave.

Sending my thoughts your way,

IWasDuped

• Special K
    Special K

((((Dan and Meia))))

I hate the way this religion can alienate you from your extended family members. It can strip you of your mother, father, brothers, sisters, Uncles, Aunts, Grandparents, Cousins..

I lost most of my family when I was D'fd. It was a very hard time for me..

Luckily, like you .. my spouse, was d'fd the same time I was.

It certainly made us closer as a couple. Because all our family and all my life long friends wouldn't have anything to do with us anymore.

I had never ever heard of anyone ever trying to get their baptism nulified. I guess it didn't work if they announced your diassociation.

This disfellowshipping and disassociation stuff really SUCKS!!!

sincerely

Special K

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Mulan... you're right, of course. The main reason I think I may have a case is because I was baptized so young. But at this point, it doesn't look like the legal option is viable. I'm just trying to keep the door open, however.

Devon, shamus, Duped... thanks.

Special K... yep, we're both very grateful we have each other. At least my grandparents are not JWs. Most of Meia's relatives are, although a few aren't. Ironically, we both have relatives who are ex-JWs (an aunt of Meia's, and an uncle of mine), whom we haven't seen much because our families were shunning them. So we're looking forward to re-establishing those relationships.

Odrade... yeah, I thought about that. It was also the day after their CO left; so at the time, I thought that might be the motive for calling then. Now, I wonder.

BTW, I asked the elder who called me whether the decision had been made in consultation with the Society or the CO. He responded: "What I can tell you is that there are several resources we have in this case. One is the Bible, another is prayer, and the third is Jehovah's organization. So of course we made use of these resources. But the decision was made by the local congregation." Right.

SeattleNiceGuy... you have a PM.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Euph, any legal action might carry more weight if it is taken against the individual elders, without including the Society. I hope you were baptised under the age of 18, that would help your case.

For older folks like me, the baptism vows were changed in 1985. For those baptized before 1985, a very good case can be made that allegiance was sworn to Jehovah God and not Jehovah's Witnesses.

I'm sorry for your situation Euph. I would hate the idea that someone else decided who I can and cannot talk to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit