JW Expanded Volunteer Activities?

by doinmypart 25 Replies latest jw friends

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

At WT HQ during 9/11, they justified locking the doors as just in Noah's Day, when the Ark doors closed up to the worldly people about to be killed in the great flood. It was only after some real himing and hauling around, that they were finally pressured into opening up enough to hand out some measeley bottles of water.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

One other thing for everyone to consider, the GB are here in the US. Even if they were born elsewhere, served elsewhere, they are pretty "Americanized" sitting on their thrones in upstate NY. In the US, a religious organization is not required to ANY of such charitable works. Just being a religion is enough to qualify for tax exemption and there is not an arrangement here for the government or taxpayers to give religions any kind of funding. (In fact, I was astounded when I learned that some governments, ie, Norway do that.)

I don't expect WT to organize some kind of charitable giving (cash nor tangible things like food pantry, etc). I think if it becomes required in other countries to have them maintain their "charity" status, then perhaps they'll grant the local branches to organize something to pass off as "charity", but I still think if would predominantly be for JWs.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I don’t think it would ever involve giving to the community, as others have pointed out, every cent given by the membership for those things is not spent on the WTBTS. That is also why they curtailed the meetings and ministry, driving a car is expensive, heating buildings is expensive, the $20/month/publisher saved they hope will go to them in the near-tithing they have been promoting, if not completely at least partially. Same for expensive suits (this used to cost me upwards of $600/year for a pair of very cheap suits), which are now downgraded to slacks and shirts which can be had at an upscale outlet for $50.

My estimation is that there will be more consolidation, less literature in paper, less emphasis on spending time and money in service. Perhaps even fully virtual congregations.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

I agree that unless they can make some cold hard cash, the Borg is unlikely to encourage any mingling with "worldly" people.

They MIGHT copy the Catholics and open rest homes for elderly JWs and "favorably disposed "non-believers. In the USA rest homes have become a profitable business. $$

They MIGHT expand their disaster response efforts/insurance scams. Using JW quick build teams to respond to storm damage with free volunteer labor and charge insurance companies for the labor.$$

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/04/briefing/health-care.html?unlocked_article_code=1.fk0.BP12.mG_ioABa2H_W&smid=url-share

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

There's a Biblical basis they could use, as Paul said there are different types of ministries.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I agree they need to come up with something seeing that world governments seem to be on to their worldwide Scam plcwork

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit