What is the appeal of Watchtower Farm and Patterson?

by Never Was 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• undercover
    undercover

I visited Bethel many, many years ago. Didn't make it to the farm nor did I get to eat a meal with the Bethel family. I remember being scolded because I wore jeans to tour the factory. I mean, c'mon, it's a factory. I ain't wearing no suit to look at machines.

As a youth, I was always encouraged to try for Bethel, but I had absolutely no desire to go. I didn't want to live in NY, I didn't want to have my life scheduled as tightly as what I had heard. The horror stories that I have heard about the meals was enough to keep me from ever applying for Bethel. Several people that I knew growing up went to Bethel. Only one or two really liked it and stayed for more than four years. All the others, six, that I can think of offhand, were back home within a year. Out of these six, only two remaned active JWs. One is an elder, one is a fringe publisher and the rest are either inactive or disfellowshipped.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I could not understand what the attraction was for JW's to travel great distances to view a few buildings

Never Was ... keen observation.

Even having grown up in the borg, I never understood why anyone would want to visit the places more than once. Yes, I have been to Bethel, Patterson, Wallkill. I guess it was more of a curiosity than anything.

I mean .. once you have seen one machine print magazines, you have seen it all.

***** Rub a Dub

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Very interesting question, and very interesting to view an outsider's opinion of the tours. LOL While I was a JW, I must admit that visiting Bethel or the Watchtower Farm in Wallkill (Patterson wasn't built at the time) was just the epitome of the word vacation. At various times, the congregation would rent a bus and plan a trip to either of these places as a special "treat" for the congregation members.

Seeing everyone working selflessly in "unity" for "God's purpose" was something akin to reaching Nirvana. We could all envision ourselves working together in the "New System" without the influence of Satan and his evil, worldly minions.

It's interesting to read your opinion of how cultish it all appeared to you, whereas every good JW views the exact same things and deems them wonderful because they indicate "true unity."

Thank you for sharing your perspective.

• Joker10
    Joker10

Will just limit to say that many don't leave Patterson feeling the way your feeling.

• Never Was
    Never Was

Thanks to everyone who responded. I think I have a better understanding now.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Never Was,

I too was never a JW and found this site the same way you did. Former JW's will give you the most honest answers and opinions but it would be interesting to hear how a loyal JW would respond to this. Very few if any loyal JW's post here but you could try asking your JW friends.

Devon

• jgnat
    jgnat

Couldn't resist:

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here are some testimonials from loyal JW's about the above noted tour:

Here are some comments about the Tours: "This is my first tour and it was marvelous. So much of Jehovah's natural wonders, such as Niagara Falls and the countryside. The Bethels were an eye opener. The Stanley Theatre and Patterson were fabulous. It was wonderful to have Brothers and Sisters as travel companions, especially the Japanese. I would recommend it to anyone." (T. D. from British Columbia)
    "The most interesting and delightful tour I have ever taken. Thank you." (M. H. from Alberta)
    "I think this tour was wonderful. Don (the bus driver) gave us lots of information about interesting spots. I really want to do this tour all over again from the start. I hope Jehovah will make us meet again someday. Thank you very much and take care or yourself." (Y. K. from Japan)
    "This trip has been spiritually refreshing and we have really learned to love Jehovah's organization and our "New Family" on the bus." (R. and C. L. from Saskatchewan)
    "We appreciated particularly the way the tour was put together, allowing us to "Digest" what we learned. Not least was learning to value the organization required for the preaching work and the sense of urgency. The members of the tour were delightful. Our driver must be amongst the best as a tour guide." (C. G. from British Columbia)
    "It was a real blessing to join this trip. Loved the Bethels very much. I was a pleasure to meet all the Brothers and Sisters and get to know them. I am very privileged. Thank you very much." (N. S. from Ontario)
    "I really enjoyed this trip very much, but am sad to see it come to an end. It was a wonderful trip. It was great to see Jehovah's organization in action. Thank you. (N. A. from Alberta)
    "This trip was a really good experience to expand my view of Jehovah's organization. Excellent!" (B. K. from British Columbia)
    "Seeing everything that goes into supplying us with our spiritual food and equipment has given me a greater appreciation for our literature and the encouragement to ensure that I always make the best use of it in my life and in my ministry. (B. H. from Ontario)
    "This tour really taught me what Brother and Sister really means."
    "I am closer to these people on the bus than anyone in my congregation."
    "Something to really share with those back home."
    AND
    "Friends for life."
  • Mulan
    Mulan

Who put that music on this page? Thanks a whole lot, whoever you are. Now I have that running through my head.

• jgnat
    jgnat

hehehe. If it is TOO annoying, Mulan, I will pull the link.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit