any movies with prominent JW characters?

by Azalo 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

My JW friend told me there was a great scene in Joan of Arcadia recently where she kind of slammed JW's coming to their door. My friend thought it was hilarious.

Dave told me there was a JW in one of the books he read. I think it was by Joseph Wambaugh. Maybe "The Onion Field". Not sure though.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Yes, in "The Onion Field", one of the police officers is married to a Witness. The Witness wife doesn't actually appear in the book, but is just referenced. I don't know about the movie.

And Matty, your post sounds like an apostate dream.

• acsot
    acsot

I will now demonstrate my knowledge of classy, Academy Award calibre filmmaking.

In the movie "The Coneheads", David Spade and Chris Farley play FBI agents who impersonate JWs to knock on the door of the Conehead family.

I saw the Coneheads, it was funny stuff. I was a die-hard dub then and I thought it hysterical.

• shotgun
    shotgun

Wasn't C.T Russell and J.F Rutherford in ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

• blondie
    blondie

JFR played Nurse Ratchett.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

Not movies, but I notice that Garrison Keilor has made three or four mentions of JWs in the past year or so. Two I remember: last week in a skit, someone was saying "you know, when you rush to the door 'cause you think it's Federal Express and it's a Jehovah's Witness?" and once he mentioned something about two classes or two tiers in the after-life. Maybe I'm just more attuned now.

• brooklynNY
    brooklynNY

Does anyone recall a two-part miniseries on PBS called White Teeth, I believe it was filmed in the UK? I just caught bits and pieces of the movie. However, I remember watching a scene where a Jehovah?s Witness mother and daughter are out in field service preaching that the world would come to an end in 1975.

• Matty
    Matty

Yes, there was a mini-series adaption of White Teeth by Zadie Smith. It was initially shown on Channel 4 in the UK.

• Isis
    Isis

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264121/combined

I've never seen this but it came up on a search on the internet movie database.

Isis

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I started to watch "White Teeth" on PBS but I quickly was turned-off by the innacuracies - the supposed JW's had crosses hanging over their beds and stuff! I felt like, did they do any research to ensure accuracy?

But then again, I guess it goes to show that the majority of people know little or nothing about JW's and their beliefs.

I thought the "Coneheads" scene was another annoyingly innacurate portrayal of JW's.

Somebody told me once that there was a JW character in the movie "Jack the Bear".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit