Were Most Of The Elders "On The Ball" In Your Congregation?

by minimus 48 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I think most of the elders relied on the "smart ones" to help them out. My experience was that there was probably 2 or 3 "sharp ones". The rest were dopey!

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

My father liked to tell how RP Johnson of Bethel (JT's man ) had once said in a talk that a lot of elder bodies were like an 8-cylinder car running on 2 cylinders.

In the congregation in NY I spent the most time in (Woodhaven), there were maybe 3 or 4 elders pulling their weight, out of about 10 (it fluctuated). After that, I transferred to the Russian; most of the elders there were Bethelites, so they were all on-the-ball organization men, with a couple of exceptions.

Out here in Boise, the congregation I went to was exceptionally on-the-ball; several pioneer elders, etc. The body still had a few duds who were only on there because they'd served their time.

• minimus
    minimus

"Honorary elders" are what some of these men are. They're there til death or senility---whichever comes first. Most of the pioneer elders were considered the sharp ones---getting all the assembly parts because of their wonderful example. They were the "Society men" and many of them were plainly out of touch with reality. They were just seeking a job promotion (becoming a C.O.)

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

My experience exactly minimus. There was one that was "at least a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic" -- one totally useless, one a total cynic, and 3 on the ball -- I claimed to be one of those on the ball.

• minimus
    minimus

Of course you were, Stilla. That's why you're here now.

• sf
    sf

Balls and elders?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOLOLOLOLOL

Nice one mini.

sKally

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Minimus, do you mean this kind of ball?

• minimus
    minimus

Tres, if you climbed on top of one, I'm sure it would get blue.

• amac
    amac

I was in a few different congregations, but most of my time was spent in 2. One I grew up in was pretty on the ball as far as I could tell. There was some inter-elder body rivalries, but all seemed pretty withit. The congregation I was in when I was older had very "organizational" society men. They were the most Unspiritualistic, unchrist-like men I knew, but they did everything by the book and to the "full extent of the law."

• minimus
    minimus

Unspiritual and unchristian= Good theocratic elders

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit