My Epiphany

by Farkel 40 Replies latest jw friends

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

Ever try singing 'Marriage is God's arrangement' To the tune of The muppet show? Pretty funny.

Marriage is God's arrangment, by him it was designed, It forms a bond of union brings blessings to mankind.....bumbumbum

• julien
    julien

don't forget "O Holy Night" , this song sometimes gives me that feeling of hair standing up on my neck -- and I'm agnostic..

another recommendation if you can find it:
    messi di gloria by mascagni

• metatron
    metatron

There's one song that sounds like "What Kind of Fool Am
    I" - is it "Walking in Integrity"?

metatron

• Maximus
    Maximus

Farkel, since you are such a talented pianist, you will appreciate the barbarous musical plagiarism of Beethoven's "Appassionata" in the old songbook.

'When Jehovah dee-creed that a DELuge,
    Should dee-stroy that old world long a-go-OH'

And from Mendelssohn's "Midsummer Night's Dream":

'How luv-LEE are,
    Thy dwell-INGS Lord ...'

And from the Creation Oratorio:

'The heav'ns dee-clare,
    The glo-ree of the LOH-urd'

The list of similar music from "Christendom" [sic] that was wiped out goes on and on. Perhaps few here are old enough to remember a time when the public talks at district conventions and even circuit assemblies had live musical programs with orchestras prior to the public talk, to attract the public. Some of the musical presentations were quite good. Have you heard the recordings of Fred Franz singing four-part harmony? Sounded like a barbershop quartet.

But finally that all went down the drain, including the piano player at local meetings. It was a service privilege generally given to sisters, remember? I recall serving a congregation with one old sister who once played honky-tonk in her youth and shall we say, took liberties with the Kingdom songs. All that was missing was a cigarette hanging out of her lips. It was great! My wife and I wanted to scream with laughter but worked very hard to put on the deadpan expected of us.

Ah, but the uniformity/conformity watchword caught up, and soon it was the vinyl recording. A moneymaker, too. All those musicians donating their time.

This is a metaphor for the downward spiral of individuality that goes back many, many years. Homogenization; ain't it wonderful? Everyone hears the same experiences, the same droning words--carefully planned.

Got carried away. Thanks for the entre to Professor Gruss, who telephoned me. We've connected.

Maximus

• Julie
    Julie

Farkel,

Thanks for reminding me why I Love You So Much.

Julie

• Farkel
    Farkel

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

To Maximus:

: Farkel, since you are such a talented pianist, you will appreciate the barbarous musical plagiarism of Beethoven's "Appassionata" in the old songbook.

Yes. I commented about that one further up in this thread. It was "Extending Mercy to Others." I don't mind the plagiarism, but here's what I really DO mind: if you look at the top of the score it says, "With a Lilt!" No kidding! That's the only dub song I can ever remember saying that for the tempo. Now, Beethoven would literally roll over in his grave if someone said to play the first movement of the Apassionata sonata with "a lilt." I play all three movements of the Apassionata and it is one of his finest middle-period sonatas. Majestic, passionate and stormy. But "with a lilt?" I would personally shoot the bastard who put that phrase as a way to sing/play Beethoven! It's downright immoral!

: But finally that all went down the drain, including the piano player at local meetings. It was a service privilege generally given to sisters, remember? I recall serving a congregation with one old sister who once played honky-tonk in her youth and shall we say, took liberties with the Kingdom songs. All that was missing was a cigarette hanging out of her lips. It was great!

I (ahem!) was probably one of the exceptions. From the time I was twelve until I left the WTS at age 25, I always played the piano at the KH, at all funerals, weddings and wedding receptions. I even played at a few circuit assemblies when the orchestra was either too pathetic, or was unable to play.

Whenever I moved to a new congregation there was always a sister (usually ancient) who had played the songs for years at the hall. The first time she was sick and couldn't show up, I mentioned that I could play and got the chance to do so. The next time she/they showed up, she/they were "fired" and I always got the job. Looking back, it was kind of cruel the way that they handled it. All I did was just play a lot better than they did, though.

I too, would jazz up Kingdom Songs. The congregation loved it. I was counseled by more than one Circuit Overseer that it was "too much" for the dignity of the song. As soon as the CO left our congregation to harass some other poor congregation, I went right back to my old style.

Those idiotic COs must have thought that Jehovah loved dirges, or something.

Farkel

• unanswered
    unanswered

farkel-you have outdone yourself!!!-nate

• Seeker
    Seeker

You remember that one song that has the quasi-Hawaiian music? One of the paradise songs, but I can't think of the title. Anyway, I was in one congregation in the midwest that didn't have a piano, but had an organ. The elderly sister played the organ for the songs, and I always felt like I was in a skating rink or something. But when this Hawaiian song was the one to play, she got it into her head to put on the background beat while she played! The combination of the snappy background sound with the organ sound doing the Hawaiian song was too much and I cracked up. I felt like I was at the organ store in the mall...

• Tina
    Tina

((((((((((Farkel)))))))))))))0 LOLOL TY for the laffs :D
    Cutting,brilliant and funny! Luv ya sweetie,Tina

• messenger
    messenger

Excellent post and oh so true. To add a thought, does anyone remember the old sister who was starting to lose it, nobody wanted to hurt her feelings, and could not get more than four notes in sequence. I remember it being so hard to be respectful while the absolute autospy of a bad song to begin with is being performed. I remember cracking up more than once and getting the elbow or else.

Yes the music is crap.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit