Keep your fingers crossed for me, please

by asleif_dufansdottir 12 Replies latest jw friends

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

I'm so nervous!

I just started grad school this year, and had a teaching assistantship this last fall. It paid a few thousand dollars for 20 hours work per week, but the important thing was that it came with a waiver of out-of-state tuition and part of in-state tuition. Full-time graduate tuition (9 credit hours) is $4590 a semester for out-of-state, $1854 in-state.

Without a teaching assistantship (TA) or research assistantship (RA), I have to borrow student loans for tuition and to live on. This is not good. Going part-time and working is just not possible - I'm looking at 8 years of grad school if I go full time...I'll be in my late 40's when I get my PhD.

The department told me they didn't have a TA or an RA for me for the spring. But tonight I got an email from a post-doc in a related department, who is looking for an RA in environmental anth - exactly my field! He asked me to send him my CV. I did, but I'm so afraid they'll pick someone else! Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me, guys?? Not only would it be financial salvation, it would be a great learning opportunity on how to do env anth research "on the ground."

I'm biting my fingernails!

• Mulan
    Mulan

You bet. Keep us informed. Sounds like a great opportunity.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    I did, but I'm so afraid they'll pick someone else!

Stop thinking that way. Think "THEY WILL PICK ME" --"IF IT"S MEANT TO BE IT WILL" .... put out very positive thoughts... let the fear go... also, followup on the CV you sent him with a nice note (if you haven't already thought of it).

• onacruse
    onacruse

Good luck to ya!

I'll be 92 before I get my AA.

Craig

• integ
    integ

Good luck my friend.

Integ.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Good luck!

My brother is in the same position....he was lucky and got a sweet fellowship coupled with teaching while he is in grad school that covers his tuition and gives him just barely enough to survive on if he is very very careful. Between the classes he takes, homework and teaching he does not have time for even a part time job either....

• shamus
    shamus

Fingers crossed, and good luck friend!

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

fingers crossed (toes is a bit dificult for me) wishing you good luck.

and stop biting your fingernails: you might need them in the future !!

• Sassy
    Sassy

I hope it works out for you asleif_dufansdottir!

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Fingers crossed? No need.....I'm SURE.....POSITIVE....really, really hoping....that things work out for you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit