Do you really LIKE yourself?

by Tatiana 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

As it's a new year, and most of us made resolutions, I'd like to know what about yourself you would truly change if you could? If you had one wish and it meant you could magically alter something of yourself, what would it be?

What quality about yourself do you wish would go away? Do you really and truly like the person that you are? Are there some things about you (physically or otherwise) that you would give anything to change?

Some things about myself are ok in my opinion. I don't lie, even though that sometimes makes me have very few friends. I'm very sensitive, sometimes to my own detriment. But, I have lots of compassion for people. It doesn't matter if I know them or not. I will give you the shirt off my back to help you. If I know someone wants or needs something, I will go out of my way to see that they get it.

But, I hate that my self-esteem is not what it should be. I know that I'm as good as everyone else. In my mind at least, but it just doesn't feel that way. Years of being abused, picked on, called names (even by my mother) have taken their toll. I've read all the books about raising your self-image, etc. But, the feelings will not go away, and I HATE it!! I can fake them successfully, but I want the feeling to be real.

It actually makes me ill to think that I may go through the rest of my life feeling this way. And I don't know what else to try to do to change it. If only there were magic beans!

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

Do you really LIKE yourself?
    OF COURSE!!!!!

• shamus
    shamus

Well, it's this dammed depression thingy for me. My self-esteem is zero sometimes, and it's hard to stay positive all the time. I really don't know if I like myself, but I know I should.

No, I'm not whining.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

shamus, I know all about the depression. It took me years to get through it, and it's bearable now.

Hey, at least you didn't say "whinging."

• shamus
    shamus

Whinging? Whinging what???

• shotgun
    shotgun

I think for many of us faders it's tough to be totally happy with ourselves because being true to oneself is very important. I hope that soon I'll be able to true to what I really believe.

Shotgun

• dh
    dh

i have to say i find life pretty difficult, not because of self esteem or depression, just i never ever felt comfortable being alive, i never really liked myself particularly, nor did i dislike myself, in my eyes i was always just a means to an end, 'for the sake of it'.

if i could change anything about me, it would be the fact that i was born, i would change it so that i wasn't.

dh'

note: yes i have seen 'it's a wonderful life' starring jimmy stewart, it's a great movie!

• Nikita
    Nikita

Maybe Pleasuredome would care to elaborate on just how much he likes himself?!

Nikita

• Tatiana
    Tatiana
    Whinging? Whinging what???

shamus....it's just a joke. In reference to many people who mean to say "whining", but spell it "whinging" instead. Sorry...

if i could change anything about me, it would be the fact that i was born, i would change it so that i wasn't

dh...that's sad. Often I've felt that I never belonged here. I get hurt much too easily. I went through a bad time when I felt the same as you. Sometimes I feel I'm staying for my children. My sensitivity is probably another thing I'd change. I used to feel it was a good thing. I don't anymore, because in the end I get hurt too much. If anyone remembers that movie with Ali McGraw and Ryan O'neal....Love Story....there was a line in it from Ali that I still believe to this day. "Love means never having to say you're sorry." Unfortunately, I never met anyone else who believes it.

• Valis
    Valis

most of the time I do..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit