Pretzels are Pagan, will you eat just one?

by codeblue 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• codeblue
    codeblue

Last night Mr. CB and I were watching the Travel channel which had an interesting program about Pretzels. The pretzel was originally made in 620 A.D. by the Monks. The meaning of the shape of the pretzel we found even more amazing. The monks made the shape of the pretzel, showing young children how to pray: represents your 2 arms crossing over each other and touching the shoulder.

After seeing that new info I turned to Mr. CB and said: So the pretzel is PAGAN made by MONKS showing one how to pray...wonder if JW's know this, will they eat pretzels?

FYI,

Codeblue

• undercover
    undercover

You jogged my memory, CB! I remember as a kid that some of the JWs had discovered the origin of pretzels and made a big deal of not buying or eating them. Then someone asked if eating the little straight ones was okay. God, I forgot all about that.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Codeblue,

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that stories will start to circulate amond the R&F and the 'spiritually strong' (fanatics) ones sure will eliminate it from their diets and that of their children.

Such nonsense!!!

DY

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Frist red M&M's... now this!!! Will there be anything left to eat????

• Gopher
    Gopher

This should frighten the more superstitious (um, weak-conscienced) JW's -- the pretzel is associated with THE TRINITY !!!

Source: http://www.sturgispretzel.com/PrezHist.htm

610AD at a monastery in Southern France or Northern Italy where monks used scraps of dough and formed them into strips to represent a child's arms folded in prayer. The three holes represented the Christian Trinity.

The monks soft-baked and offered the warm, doughy bribe to children who had memorized their Bible verses and prayers. The monks called it a Pretiola, Latin for little reward. From there, the Pretzel transformed into the Italian word, Brachiola, which means little arms.

The Pretiola journeyed beyond the French and Italian wine regions, hiked the Alps, wandered through Austria, and crossed into Germany, where it became known as the Bretzel or Pretzel.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Interesting !

And I already quit eating the long straight pretzels since they represent ancient phallic symbols.

I guess nachos are safer provided they are not cut in a triangular manner which obviously would represent the trinity.

***** Rub a Dub

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I remember an issue with pretzels a long time ago. I recall someone saying that they're in the shape of the trinity, or pagan, or something, but we could eat the straight ones.

After a while, I didn't give a shit about that issue anymore. It was just food. Bananas could resemble the male sex organ. Whatever. All hail pretzels and beer! Oooooh, scary!

• shera
    shera

Lol,everything about this religion is foolish.Surprized they can draw a circle...the shape of the pagan wedding ring.Can't they see how crazy all of this is? Neurotic religion...

• gypsywildone
    gypsywildone

Lol, do not eat ANY blue foods, because SMURFS are blue & everyone knows the little blue creatures are demon posessed . . .

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

This is a subject near and dear to my heart. I heard this during the summer and of course being the asshole that I am, went straight to my mom and asked her if she was going to continue to eat pretzels. She asked why and I explained the monk and crossed arm thing. She laughed like I was making this up. So I more earnestly explained that it was the truth and was she going to continue to eat pretzels. She totally blew me off like I what I was saying had absolutely no merit what so ever. I tried to connect the dots for her but that was the end of the conversation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit