Witnesses coming Saturday... I need HELP!!!!

by Globetrotter 113 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mulan
    Mulan

Globetrotter is not a JW. His wife was raised one, but never baptised.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

But that doesn't change the pressure they are likely to put on his wife. I'm wondering if conversations such as this aren't the reason that so many JWs are able to fade. Sending the faithful into this kind of discussion has got to have ramifications! I hope the ramifications this time is that there are three less JWs within the year!!

• garybuss
    garybuss

The doctrine of absolute endangerment of spirituality is applied to non Witnesses all the time. In fact it was invented to deal with unmanagable spouses. It is their way to not have to deal with evidence or anything else they don't want to deal with. Once the order is given, the Witness spouse has no choice but to obey or face a committee herself.

They are loading the guns and forming a posse right now.

• jgnat
    jgnat

A nicely laid out strategy from beginning to end, Globetrotter. Was your wife listening? She sounds like a strong woman. Does she admire strength?

<----------- hoping for the best

• marriedtodamob
    marriedtodamob

BRILLIANT GT!!!

Will check back to see your next installment!!! Man, I WAS going to do exactly what you have done using EXACTLY the UN scandal...this is going to be interesting...VERRRRRYYY interesting to see if Gary is right...if he is, I'm heading outta Dodge a bit earlier than anticipated...

Get back here asap globeman!!!

mobbie

• Special K
    Special K

Hi Globetrotter..

Excellent, .. You were excellent in presenting your information to these two elders.

But, you know what?. It is possible that they really didn't know of the WTS involvement with the U.N. That will be quite a blow for them to muddle through.

Again, you handle your self great...It all made good sense.

I'll be watching to read your wife's response to all this.

Sincerely

Special K

• Globetrotter
    Globetrotter

I'm back. Two things deleayed my response. 1) My daughter was up most of the early morning hours with an earache and I took her to the doctor as soon as they opened at 1:00, and 2) my keyboard died! I replaced it this afternoon with a wireless, but I was accustomed to the Elite style (split left and right hands) and now I am having an incredibly difficult time typing. All the keys are much closer together. I may take it back and spring the extra $30 for the Micro$oft version, but $100 for a keyboard (and rodent) doesn't sit well with me.

I really don't have much to report just yet. I'm hoping it just takes a little while to sink in. While I am hopeful, I'm not foolish enough to bank on it. I don't think the UN thing bothered my wife very much at all. She said that we will have to wait to see "what the brothers say" when they come back. Her postion on everything is that all of the witness teachings are biblical. The JWs are the only ones that teach what the bible says. I told her that I thought it was clearly demonstrated that the witnesses' claim to the truth is only based on their claim to the truth. If all that was taught by the witnesses was the bible story, the kingdom and paradise earth, it would be no big deal. But their invisible return of christ and appointment of the JWs as god's organization on earth gives them free reign to say anything they want in the name of the truth that cannot be proven. That alone should raise a red flag. That nothing is open for discussion should raise a red flag. My son pointed out that if the next WT said that it would be wise for good christians not to venture out after dark, the society would find some scripture to support the statement, people would suddenly follow it, and say "See - it's bible based. We teach only the bible." (good boy!) I reiterated that being told what to think by an organization, and blindly following it without question, is not healthy. I also reiterated that the best I could hope for (or the only thing that I could reasonably expect) is for her to think for herself, and not accept everything the society says as "bible based" just because they found a verse of scripture they claim as support for what they say.

I had a chance to talk to each of the kids privately. My son already gets it. Reading a lot of Michio Kaku (theoretical physics) probably helped. Plus he's pretty bright (accelerated program in all subjects). (I had to brag a little). My daughter didn't understand all the questions I asked, so today I went through my reasoning, the questions, the answers and the obvious conclusions. I told her that if I said anything different from what she remembered from yesterday, to stop me. Though she will only be 12 in a week, everything was clear to her after going through it again with me. (She's in the accelerated program too) Plus, she told me that though she knew about the 144K, she had never heard of the 12 tribes of Israel or the bit about the men having not been with women. When we got home, she checked it out for herself, and got her own wheels turning.

I at least proved to all of them that I'm not full of $hit. I may not know the bible very well (and have often wondered how long it takes a JW to learn to jump around prooftexting any issue that comes up), but I did prove that I'm not lying about the organization.That my wife still said that we will have to wait for what the brothers say, coupled with the infallable bible based teaching postion, does not give me much hope at all that this excercise was good for her. I almost believe that a different scenario is more plausible: A small trace of hope flashed through my mind earlier today ... maybe the younger brother will think about the UN thing long enough, decide to leave and thank me. Wishful thinking on my part, I'm sure.

• kj
    kj

You're doing all you can, you're planting seeds. All you can do is pray that the information you shared will help someone somewhere along the line. At least it is not too late for your kids, someday they will be able to thank you for rescuing them from a cult.

kj

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Very interesting thread (and I've never even been a JW).

Her postion, on everything, is that all of the witness teachings are biblical. The JWs are the only ones that teach what the bible says.

Having been to several different Christian denominations, her statement really is ludicrous. Many Christian churches make that claim. That being the case, you might turn the tables on her with this question/thought. She goes out in service and knocks on many doors. Behind one of those doors is a person who belongs to one of those denominations that "teach what the bible says". (that might be a new concept to her). Since we're now talking about differences in bible "interpretation", each one's "truth" will be different. What makes her 'truth' trump the other persons "truth".... How would she convince a person dyed-in-the-wool of their "truth" that they are wrong? I think, if all things are equal, you have to go beyond just bible interpretation to determine which person seems to have a more 'valid' claim as to 'truth'. You would have to go back to the beginning of each denomination.... follow their history and see how closely they followed what they taught and believed. I think if that was done, the JWs, for all of their vascillating, would be found wanting.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    That my wife still said that we will have to wait for what the brothers say

is proof positive in itself where her primary loyalty lies. What about what the Bible itself says?

With just this one statement, no amount of reasoning from any legitimate source including the Bible would matter to her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit