Knowing What You Know Now---Would YOU Try To Persuade a Potential JW?

by minimus 20 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

.....not to join, have a Bible Study, and learn more about the "truth" or would you not say anything, believing it's not your business?

'

• dustyb
    dustyb

i don't have much of a choice. all of my old friends are JW, my mom is a JW and my g/f is JW and her whole family is JW.....so looks like i might as well become a preacher man...heh

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Of course I would do my best to dissuade them from making the same mistakes that I did.

I got a glow of satisfaction when I was able to explain a few things to a young lady with whom I worked. She was having a regular return visit and was on the way to being a "Bible Study" . After some pointers from me, she asked a few relevant questions of the Witness and then stopped the visits.

One has to be gentle, because the first thing that one is taught is to expect persecution. So it is important not to just "Knock " the Society without sound reasoning

It was much easier to explain the truth about "The Truth" then ever it was to defend it. I guess I was talking from the heart

• laylaluv
    laylaluv
    When I was leaving the org., I did persuade a person that had been studying off and on. We became great friends and she even said she was greatful that I told her to RESEARCH before she went any further. The last time a Witness called on her she told them that she wasn't interested anymore and to please not come to her home anymore.
  • minimus
    minimus

We could say, "Hey, its great that you're studying with the Witnesses! I really don't understand why people speak so badly of them. Just because they might let their kids die because they refuse blood or just because they feel oral sex is a sin or just because they shun their friends if they don't want to be Witnesses anymore, heck----that's no reason to not want to be a preaher and knock on strangers' doors!"

• Special K
    Special K

Yes, .. I would try to persuade them not to become a J.W.... if they were in my circle of friends.

sincerely

Special K

• minimus
    minimus

I think if you can use logic on them-----you MIGHT be able to get them out IF they're just beginning to study. I know I'd simply tell the truth about what JWs really believe in. I think, that would do it!

• sandy
    sandy

A relative of mine is studying with a family friend. It really upsets me because this friend is very vulnerable. Everyone is always on him about going to the meetings and keeping his bible study going.

I secretly give him things to really consider. Subjects such as Disfellowshipping/Shunning and the Blood Issue.

This friend of ours is always feeling guilty about things he has done in his life. Things such as indulging in drugs and alcohol as well as some other things that are far worse. So he thinks the JWs are going to turn him around.

I try to reason with him that a person does not necessarily need religion to make these changes in their life.

Sometimes I feel a little guilty about telling him anything about the jdubs. But I do it anyway.

• minimus
    minimus

Guilty people are the easiest to get conned. They feel they're worthless or inferior. They are ripe for the pickins.

• maxwell
    maxwell

If they asked me questions, I would be honest. I wouldn't tell them it was a bad idea, but I'd let them know about the bad parts and the good parts and I'd let them know that the good parts aren't unique to the JW. I believe in laying all the facts on the table and letting the person make their own decision. Of course, the person studying with a potential JW is not laying all the facts out there, so I'd be more than willing to give or direct the potential JW to the rest of the story. If it were a friend, I'd probably be a bit more tempted to try to persuade them away, but I still think the right thing to do is let them have as much information as possible and allow them to make their own decision.

Ironic that JW sometimes claim that they also allow a person to make their own decision after giving them the information, except they don't give them all the information. In fact, JW say that a large amount of the information available is off limits using the apostacy argument. That's one thing I would point out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit