Most despicable Bible texts

by logansrun 56 Replies latest watchtower bible

• logansrun
    logansrun

Of course, there are so many to choose from. One of my favorite examples of pure goulish evil is found in Psalm 137:8,9:

"O daughter of Bablyon, you devastator! Happy shall they be who pay you back what you have done to us!

Happy shall they be who take your little ones and dash them against the rock!" (NRSV)

I don't know about you, but the sight of babies being dashed upon rocks and their brains splattering all over the desert is not exactly my idea of what I would consider to be "holy words."

Bradley

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

What about this one (Exodus 21:20f)?

"When a slaveowner strikes a male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies immediately, the owner shall be punished. But if the slave survives a day or two, there is no punishment; for the slave is the owner's property."

• logansrun
    logansrun

Good one Narkissos! Here's some scriptural encouragement for you from Lamentations 2:21:

"The young and old are lying on the ground in the streets;

my young women and my young men have fallen by the sword;

in the day of your anger you have killed them,

slaughtering without mercy."

Now, I always found it interesting that the Hebrew prophets said that the Jews deserved this punishment and it was really God doing the punishing. And yet, they express indignation at the Babylonians destruction of Jerusalem who were in fact used by God! Furthermore, the Babylonians, because they were used by God to carry out his punishment against Israel, will be punished for doing so! Personally, I think that both the Jews and Babylonians got a bad deal here.

Bradley

• shamus
    shamus

mm m... death....

mmm... degrading women....

I hate that shit.

• City Fan
    City Fan

Judges 3:21,22 describes the way Ehud kills big fat Eglon, king of Moab.

"Ehud reached with his left hand, pulled out the dagger strapped to his right thigh, and plunged it into the king's belly. The dagger went so deep that the handle disappeared beneath the king's fat. So Ehud left the dagger in, and the king's bowels emptied."

Lovely!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Behave son! Remember Elisha:

2 Kings 2:23f: He went up from there to Bethel; and while he was going up on the way, some small boys came out of the city and jeered at him, saying, "Go away, baldhead! Go away, baldhead!" When he turned around and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two she-bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.

• logansrun
    logansrun

City Fan,

I agree the "shit coming out of Eglon's belly" text is rather, oh what's the word -- crude? But I don't actually think that scripture is despicable. Hell, fatman probably deserved it. I concentrate on the texts which talk about slaughtering children, eating babies, destroying entire populations except for the young virgin girls who can be used for sexual servitude. Yeah, that's pretty despicable.

B.

• toreador
    toreador

Dang, these were good! I didnt know that stuff was in the bible. Anymore?

• Satanus
    Satanus

*** Rbi8 Leviticus 20:14 ***
    "?And where a man takes a woman and her mother, it is loose conduct. They should burn him and them in the fire, in order that loose conduct may not continue in YOUR midst.

After leprosy has stopped, kill a bird over running water

*** Rbi8 Leviticus 14:1-9 ***
    4 the priest must then give command; and he must take for cleansing himself two live clean birds and cedarwood and coccus scarlet material and hyssop. 5 And the priest must give command, and the one bird must be killed in an earthenware vessel over running water. 6 As for the living bird, he should take it and the cedarwood and the coccus scarlet material and the hyssop, and he must dip them and the living bird in the blood of the bird that was killed over the running water. 7 Then he must spatter it seven times upon the one cleansing himself from the leprosy and he must pronounce him clean, and he must send away the living bird over the open field.

• Seven
    Seven

Deuteronomy 25
    11 If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, 12 you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.

The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals, and 362 to heterosexuals. This doesn't mean God doesn't love heterosexuals, it's just that they need more supervision. ~ Lynn Lavner, a lesbian comic

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit