WHY did you get baptised?

by fairy 28 Replies latest jw friends

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

before I even think about the subject. My mother have been already DFed (I was about 11)
    I didn't like the way they treated her and us, and anyway I didn't like the way they treated her and us before ...
    I thought ... Wait you are not in hurry ... LOL ... and well incounscious inconsistancies, just a feeling at first

• brooklynNY
    brooklynNY

I was raised in the "truth" and never got any real pressure from my parents to get baptized after I turned sixteen. But I was still a publisher, and gave talks. I got dunked at nineteen not so much that I believed this way the truth, but I wanted to date this hot looking sister in my circuit. Never did date her.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I got baptized when I did (at 14) because my younger sister was getting baptized. It just wouldn't be right if my younger sister got baptized before me...

• Sassy
    Sassy

I remember why.. because it was expected of me. All the kids in the congregation had done it already a year or two before and so even they expected me to do so as well as my mother. I wasn't very old, early teens.

• blondie
    blondie

I thought it would make me closer to God.

Blondie

• Globetrotter
    Globetrotter

I have two questions re: baptism..

1) I asked this in another post, but perhaps it was overlooked with all the other stuff... Do Jehovah's Witnesses (or have they ever) baptised "in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of Jehovah's Spirit Annointed Organization" instead of the Holy Spirit, or is this just an apostate lie that I saw on the internet?

2) For those of you that were baptised later in life (like mid-twenties on..), was there a noticable change (in the negative direction) in the behavior of the other members toward you after you were baptised? The reason I ask is that my wife continues to deny (to me anyway) much of the negative characteristics and lack of love, etc. that seems to be prevelant. Whenever I go the to hall ( not often) I get love-bombed. Mind you, she is 46 and has been attending this same hall for years, yet she is still not baptised. I almost wish she would go through with it just so she would see their "true colors". (The later in life caveat is there only because I don't know if someone 16 years old can properly put any change into perspective. However, all are free to comment.

Misha

• freelife
    freelife

I liked this girl in my sisters hall and her parents would not let us see each other unless i was baptized. I was also getting pressued from the elders and my parents. I eventually gave in to all of it but mostly for the girl. What a dumb ass i was!!!!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

WHY did you get baptised?

I did not want to die at Armageddon

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Born in, never got dunked.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

<raids fridge for more of his favourite brew>

• Vivamus
    Vivamus
    1) I asked this in another post, but perhaps it was overlooked with all the other stuff... Do Jehovah's Witnesses (or have they ever) baptised "in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of Jehovah's Spirit Annointed Organization" instead of the Holy Spirit, or is this just an apostate lie that I saw on the internet?

This question makes me doubt my memory . I remember asking a question about that to an elder. Cuz we were supposed to be baptized in the name of the father, son and holy spirit, but that line wasn't uttered when I got dunked. If my memory is correct, the elder expleined it as: the Holy Spirit works through the organization ... and since we accept the organization with a definate "yes" (one of the question you have to answer during the ceremony .. we got baptized in the name of the holy spirit.....

2) For those of you that were baptised later in life (like mid-twenties on..), was there a noticable change (in the negative direction) in the behavior of the other members toward you after you were baptised? The reason I ask is that my wife continues to deny (to me anyway) much of the negative characteristics and lack of love, etc. that seems to be prevelant. Whenever I go the to hall ( not often) I get love-bombed. Mind you, she is 46 and has been attending this same hall for years, yet she is still not baptised. I almost wish she would go through with it just so she would see their "true colors". (The later in life caveat is there only because I don't know if someone 16 years old can properly put any change into perspective. However, all are free to comment.

I joined the borg when I was 17, got baptized when I was 19. The attititude changed .. yes. I was no longer love-bombed, but treated as a normal rank-and-file member ... what a disappointment. Cuz I had hoped for a full acknoledgement, and a real-belong-feeling. None of that tho ...

I got baptized cuz I thought it would bring me closer to god, closer to the organization, and it would make me belong there. And I did believe every piece of dogma they served me ....

-

Blue Bubblegum Girl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit