WHY did you get baptised?

by fairy 28 Replies latest jw friends

• fairy
    fairy

I was just thinking back to when i got baptised. And i dont really remember the real reason why.

Thinking about it seems to bring up the idea that i only got baptised because of the way everyone treats you when they find out you are getting dunked - and not specifically to serve jehovah.

baptism day comes and you sit there and listen to the talk. then you go out and get your swimming duds on and line up at the "whatever it is they decide to dunk you in". You get dunked then everyone claps and after thats all done, people come up and say congratulations.

Getting baptised then, was a mistake for me.

so, was it because it was the going thing at that time - was it because of the way others made you feel - or because it was about time you went under?

• Simon
    Simon

because it was about time I went under.

Damn, what a mistake.

In my defense ... I was a minor and legally unable to enter into a contract at that age so it shouldn't count.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

I doubt few people had as much pressure to get baptised than I did yet refrained from doing it. Everyone thought I should, everyone I knew. I refused with a smile. Every time. I was polite but strong willed.

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

I came thisclose to getting baptized and backed out. I could not go through with it. I was only doing it to make my mom happy. At the rate I was going I knew that I would be DF'd in a matter of months. From reading here I know I saved myself lots of pain and agony.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

As much as I hate to admit it, my cousin was getting baptized and she really wanted me to get baptized on the same day as her. I hadn't really thought too much about baptism until she mentioned it, and that's what got the ball rolling. I was dipped about six months later, at 14. How can a 14-year-old have any concept of what he is doing?

SNG

• fairy
    fairy

They should use the example of jesus......he didnt get baptised till he was in his 30's?

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Stacy... you were lucky (or maybe smart) to know by then that you didn't want to do it.

Most people who felt pressured into it believed that it was something they would do eventually anyway; so they had very little grounds for standing up to the pressure.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

Peer pressure.

Everyone else is getting baptised! C'mon! You know you want to do it with us!

Oh, and the baptism gifts... did anyone else get those? That was pretty cool, too. I guess... wait, now that I remember, it was stuff like a new bookbag, a nice pen to take notes with, a fancy notebook to record my fs in.... I guess it wasn't so great after all!

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith
    Stacy... you were lucky (or maybe smart) to know by then that you didn't want to do it.

More lucky than smart I'd say. Plus I had one advantage. My parents really wanted me to get baptised but they were reasonable about it. For example.

During one public talk the elder spoke poorly about those who excelled at school because they didn't usually excel at the preaching work. On our way home I asked mom and dad if they'd prefer I lost a couple of letter grades and got baptised so I could pioneer instead. Neither could justify lowering my grades or my efforts towards grades.

So while they wanted me to be a dub, they aren't anal about it. I'm very lucky there. Had they kept up unreasonable pressure I either would have given in or have run away only to end up in low paying jobs struggling the rest of my life.

Very lucky

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Forced to by my parents when I was 16, when i say forced you know what I mean. Guilty conscience, constant nagging, comparing to other youths who did get baptized.

ahh shyt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit