Other peoples happiness.......

by obiwan 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

I have found that there is always someone who has to play "devil's advocate" and give a negative outlook. That is what annoys me.

If I have something interesting to share, or something I've read that is a "breakthrough" of sorts, and to have someone I love shoot it down, is very demoralizing, and frustrating.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

OBI:

Everyone feels the mistakes they've made in life are going to apply to everyone else. Some people don't like seeing other people happy. Some people are pests. Some people are well intentioned.

I have seen people here post things and when they don't get the response they want they end up on the floor crying over it. I am not one of those. About the biggest negative effect anyone has on me here is to get under my skin for a couple of minutes. Usually about the length of time it takes me to respond. After I respond quickly I wonder why I even bothered.

• nilfun
    nilfun

"Bum-pinching for a Better World"...LoL

Thanks for bringing a smile to my face, Special K

• Special K
    Special K

You're welcome nilfun..

wink wink... PINCH PINCH ...

sincerely

Special K

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior
    Bum-pinching for a Better World"...LoL

Oh good lord Special K- don't let Valis get wind of this

• alias
    alias

Ah, the filters of life.

I am happy for people when good things happen.

Especially when they've worked hard for it or just outright deserve it.

• obiwan
    obiwan
    When there is more than one person basically saying the same thing on the same thread, it turns from constructive, to annoying

1) Are they saying it the same way?

2) Do they have the same intentions?

~Aztec

Does it matter??? Negativity is negativity, in any form.

If someone gives critisism to another, when they have no experience in that area, wouldn't that be annoying?

• little witch
    little witch

Ah but Obi, now you have added on...

I saw Azzies point, and I said the same thing last night in a PM to another poster.

There IS a difference between criticism for the joy of argument(sucks)

and Constructive Criticism (as in someone says, " I let my child die a martyr for not taking a blood transfusion, isn't that nobel?)

If I reply to someone like that, a comment like that, then I will be honest and straight up with my opinion. Not to hurt someone, but to let my voice of dissent be heard. This is a discussion board after all.

There are sites out there for people to say these sorts of things without dissent, just tell them the first song sang on such and such a date, and BINGO!!

However, your question was about "good news".. I am not a bubble burster by any means. I guess "good news" is interpreted differently by people. One persons good news may be someone elses trigger.

• obiwan
    obiwan

True little witch. As a young child I was taught, that if I didn't have anything nice to say, don't say anything. This does not mean that I shouldn't point out any harm to someone that is there.

I guess what it all comes down to with the critism, is that a person giving it, should have at least experience in that area before advising someone on that subject. No one wants to have a persons finger waving in there face and expecting to heed advice when the person giving it hasn't any experience on the subject.

I had said "some posters". There are a great many posters here who have many life experiences and as such, thier advice carries some wieght. But there are others who, for one reason or another, can't stand to see happiness. They would rather make themselves feel better by giving advice where it is not needed or wanted.

I don't know, if I see a poster that wants advice, that's one thing. But somebody giving good news to share with others, should not have to explain there actions or defend thier decisions.

• Aztec
    Aztec

Obi, I suppose you're right. I guess you and I should compare definitions of criticism. You seem to think of it in a far more negative way than I do. When I ask for advice I expect both positive and negative reactions. I need to hear both sides. When someone is sharing joyful news I should just shut up though. I only offer critical thoughts when I think the person I am giving them to knows that I only mean it to be helpful, not hurtful. I've had quite a few negative experiences and I always want to protect everyone from having to experience the same. I'm an oldest child; what do you expect?

LW, thanks for explaining what I was trying to say much better than I did.

~Aztec

Edited to add:

I don't think most people here are negative when someone shares good news. I think the vast majority of people here are very friendly and supportive. I don't even think that most of the criticism that's offered is from people who can't stand to see others happy. To me that just seems a bit absurd.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit