Naval piercings, marathons and chi

by Princess 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess

So who knew they were all related? I'm running a marathon in less than two weeks. Last week while running my longest long run of 20 miles, my knee started to hurt so bad I had to run/walk the last five miles. I was really bummed when I got back to my car and called my sports physical therapist and he told me he was going on vacation in five minutes. So finally, I saw him this morning and he realigned everything so my knee wouldn't be taking all the stress.

Anyway, I'm laying on the table and he tells me he is going to give me the same lecture he gives all his track athletes. He said your naval is the center of your Chi, your body's flow of energy. When you pierce it, you disrupt the flow and complications almost always come from it. He told me he had an athlete that he worked on several times and she was still having problems and they couldn't figure out what was going on. He told her to do him a favor, take out the piercing for two weeks. She was fine after that.

He assured me tattoos were not going to cause any problems. Thank god for that, they are much harder to remove! I might have to get a new one around my naval to make up for it's newly naked appearance. I haven't been without my naval ring for two and a half years.

Who knew?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I don't buy it, but I'm a skeptic. This undetectable "body energy" is the foundation of many alternative medical treatments and is simply not provable by science.

She could have gotten better even if she didn't remove her piercing! People who put a lot of faith in this stuff are usually insulted when you suggest that perhaps the effect was psychosomatic or simply coincidental. But a psychosomatic effect can cause very real results.

• Odrade
    Odrade

I've heard this idea before, also the claim that ear piercings will affect the body because of reflexology points in the ear. I'm not sure I agree--although maybe I just don't want to take my own navel ring out...

But about the center of chi being at the navel? Well, that's not entirely accurate. The lower dan tien (chi center) is usually accepted to be a place a couple of inches below the navel and inward toward the spine. It's supposed to be literally in the center. In this theory, there are corresponding points on the surface of the body that could be activated or interrupted by puncturing, but dan tien is not really a point or a meridian. It's more a way of being.

Just my random thoughts on the subject... good luck on the marathon though, if you feel better, leave it out. I can't argue with that! LOL

Odrade

• Surreptitious
    Surreptitious

I agree Doc.

• Princess
    Princess

I totally know what you mean doc but honestly, this isn't one of those "new age" kind of guys. He's an awesome PT but totally doesn't look the part. He looks like the guys in the beer commercial drinking beer and eating chips. I was really shocked when I realized he was totally serious about it. His partner, an older gentleman concurred and I just had to give it a try. Even my VERY skeptical husband seemed to think coming from those guys, there might be something to it.

Besides, I do believe in energy flow through the body. Makes sense to me that piercing the center of it with stainless steel could disrupt the flow.

• Surreptitious
    Surreptitious

I took my nipple ring out once, and the girls fell down.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Besides, I do believe in energy flow through the body.

It's a interesting concept, but not backed by science at all.

Still, as odrade pointed out, if you do feel better that's ultimately all that really matters.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

LOL Syrup!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Sheesh girl, if you aren't in an actual competition, and your knees hurt to the point you can't run anymore.... quit fergodsake! You don't need a doctor to tell you that!

btw, your doctor is whacked. If his advice helps at all, it would be because the person suddenly becomes very aware of their stomach muscles and their center of gravity. Better form and muscle usage insues. IMNPOOC Alternatively and less likely, having the ring makes one subconciously *adjust* (in a bad way) to it being there when running. Then again, maybe I'm whacked, and it messes up your energy pathways, lol.

er, Mulan said I could draw mr. Sun on your tummy

• Sassy
    Sassy

that is really interesting.. I have never heard of such a thing but who knows? there might be something to it.

So do you plan to run more marathons?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit