Which Countries are still be charged for Magazines?

by Rick Aust 14 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    "Another factor in reaching more people with the good news has been the simplified literature distribution arrangement. Jehovah has blessed the faith shown by his servants in this matter. The voluntary donation arrangement is explained to people, but no charge is made for the literature. As of January 2000, that arrangement was extended to all lands where it was not already in operation. The Central African Republic branch wrote: "This means that anyone, no matter what his or her financial situation may be, can have the necessary printed material to become a disciple of Christ. This arrangement has been greatly appreciated by both the publishers and the public."

This is so much double-speak!

Elsewhere is correct in stating that it all has to do with tax. The thing the WTS fears most is tax!!!

But every move they have made to avoid tax has been presented to the R&F as somehow being a beneficial arrangement. Hence we have seen food service replaced in what was termed "simplification". Why? Because sales taxes would have been applied to the sale of food!!

Then we've seen the "donation arrangement" presented as a charitable move by the WTS to enable the poor to obtain literature. The tragedy is that the R&F believe it!

Cheers, Ozzie

• Gordy
    Gordy

I was Literature Servant when the "donation" arrangement was brought in.

The Presiding Overseer asked for a meeting with the Secretary, Service overseer, Accounts and Literature Servants, beforehand.

Where he proceeded to hand out letters from the WT telling us about the new arrangement. The letters were full of how they had decided it would be more beneficial not to make any charges for literature. That after much thought the Governing Body had decided it was what Jehovah wanted, as it would make the disciple-making work move forward. Well You get the picture.

I was given a lift home by the accounts servant. He said he thought the real reason behind it was tax. At that time in Britain it looked like that VAT (Value Added Tax) could be placed on the sale of publications from newspapers to books, which was 17.5% at the time, I think. It has never come about up to now, though pressure from the EU may make it so. Anyway if it had it would have meant that on sales of literature in Britain at that about £6 million a year, they would have to pay £1,050,000 in VAT.

Another consequence of the change, was within the congregation. The way it was demonstrated was that you got the "donation" off the householder, kept it separate, then put in the box "Worldwide Work Fund" at the Kingdom Hall. But it was also said that brother/sisters should when they get there literarture, they should put the cost of it in the box. It didn't take long for brothers to realise this meant a double payment, one from them, then one from the householder. Also as some brothers pointed out what if they got a book from literature, put a £1 in the box for it, but a householder only gave them 50p for the same book. Also if they paid a £1 for a book and the householder gave them £2 wasn't that making a profit and they were supposed to be a non-profit making organsation.

Another thing that happened was that brothers/sisters started ordering items like "deluxe Bibles" which were £6 at the time. Also bound volumes, Insight volumes, etc. The whole attitude was "well its all free, now and I'm having one". A couple of years later the WT must have realised what was happening and started to restrict "deluxe" items. Also over time the older publications were stopped, and everything was pared down to "basics", hardback books are becoming paperbacks. Lots of items became "out of stock".

That was going back 7 years so don't know about how it is today.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gordy:Your memory is playing tricks on you. It was January 1993, in the UK ( I was Lit. Servant at the time, too)
    Other than that, I recall it the same way, too.

We were sent a price list of what things "used" to cost, to give the publishers an idea of the expense of items.
    The bible tapes were a hot favourite of that time, too.

• Gordy
    Gordy

Hi Little Toe,

What I meant was that its 7 years since I had anything to do with it all. I knew the "donation" arrangement came in during early 1990's. Not long after we moved into our new Kingdom Hall.

You're right about getting a list to "help" with the costs.

Yeah I remember about the tapes as well. One brother ordered the complete Bible on tapes plus the cases for them. I think I worked it out to about costing £50-60 at the time, but of course there was "no charge".

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim
    Also if they paid a £1 for a book and the householder gave them £2 wasn't that making a profit and they were supposed to be a non-profit making organsation.

These rags cost about 25 cents (US) to produce...add that much more for shipping...anything more than a half dollar is profit...and that's a REAL HIGH estimate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit