Which Countries are still be charged for Magazines?

by Rick Aust 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Rick Aust
    Rick Aust

Hi there people.

I was listening to a Public Talk recently and in it the speaker said that the WTS is not chargeing money for the magazines to make it easier for people with little money to receive the magazines. I told my wife "thats crap". there are some countries who are still charged money for Magazines, and I beleive most of these countries that are still charged money are from the poorer nations. Can some please confirm this for me and which tell me which countries are still charged money and how can I prove this to her?

regards rick

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I don't have a list, but here is the basic rule: If a country taxes any publications sold then the WTS will operate on a "donation" basis, otherwise, they will charge for anything placed.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

OMG Elsewhere- I LOVE your new avatar pic !!!!

okay, sorry to step in here- don't even have a clue what ya'll are talking about

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Yeah, what Elsewhere said. A sales tax system that taxes the sale of magazines will bring into effect the "donation arrangement". You'll note that said arrangement started in Australia just as our Goods and Services Tax (GST) was introduced.

• Joker10
    Joker10

I don't think they charge anymore. I think they stopped doing this a year ago.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I didn't expect to ever say this, but I think Joker is correct... I remember, a year or two ago, hearing Bethelites talking about increased demand from third-world countries because they had finally switched to the donation arrangement.

Still, the fact that these countries were the last to switch clearly shows, imho, that their reasons were not charitable.

• Joker10
    Joker10

2002 Yearbook says this:

"Another factor in reaching more people with the good news has been the simplified literature distribution arrangement. Jehovah has blessed the faith shown by his servants in this matter. The voluntary donation arrangement is explained to people, but no charge is made for the literature. As of January 2000, that arrangement was extended to all lands where it was not already in operation. The Central African Republic branch wrote: "This means that anyone, no matter what his or her financial situation may be, can have the necessary printed material to become a disciple of Christ. This arrangement has been greatly appreciated by both the publishers and the public." Indonesia said: "Accordingly, the brothers looked for those interested in reading our publications more than those who could afford the printing cost." The South Africa branch reports: "Magazine production has more than doubled, with some languages increasing more than fourfold! . . . All of this indicates that more ?seeds? of truth are being sown now than ever before.?Matt. 13:3-8."

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

My Brother-in-law was living in Kenya for the last wee while.
    I was shocked to see them still charging, until VERY recent years (maybe just last year, I think).

We went to the International Convention there in '98, and helped distribute literature.
    The Swahili speaking "brothers" were sooo poor, but queued up to get English literature from us that they often couldn't even read, because it had more kudo's.
    (Elsewise, the cynical thought occurs, the wanted to be able to say they had it without having to read it )

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Thanks for the reference, Joker. Time sure flies!

• jimbob
    jimbob

The Central African Republic branch wrote: "This means that anyone, no matter what his or her financial situation may be, can have the necessary printed material to become a disciple of Christ.

Whatever happened to just using the bible to become a "disciple of Christ"? This is one thing I never understood... when god wrote the bible, do you think he said, "well, I've finished writing all I'm gonna write....the world will just have to wait a few more thousand years for some old geezers in New York to figure it all out and then charge everyone 25 cents to really understand what I wrote." I don't think so!!!! Oh wait.....now all of the enlightenment is "free of charge".....gee, what a deal! Just goes to show you that the best things in life AREN'T free!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit