Double the fun - out in more ways than one

by Mysterious 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

As much as I'd like to avishai the brain just shuts down when confronted with the "truth about the truth" kind of stuff. I don't know that I want to give her the slap in the face of rejecting things outright. I'm just not entirely sure what to say about the whole matter. I want to do this in a way that's as easy on her as possible but I know it's still going to be hard. I just hope none of the "kids" from the hall decide to take it upon their own self-righteous selves to confront her about it or anything.

• Special K
    Special K

As a parent.. I can see how that would be quite a revelation for me...from one of my kids.

I'd be scared I'd say the wrong thing.. and "numb" out..

I think I would probably go "blank" as well.

Hang in there and let her wrap her mind around it all...

all the best as you continue to branch out into who you really are.

sincerely

Special K

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Yeah I wish things didn't feel so weird around here. It's like everyone is putting on an act and stuff. I worry about doing anything that would set her off further. Sort of like the family secret no one talks about. Except everyone but the family talks about it more. I don't think she realizes quite yet just how many people do in fact know.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Mysterious and Poztate, sending all my positive energy to you both through this. Anything either of you need you have only to ask.

Gretchen

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Mysterious: I just found this thread. I can't believe I missed it, but nonetheless: you did it.

Without getting into any details, all I can say is, I'm happy you have a very supportive Dad: Poztate.

I'm also glad you feel comfortable enough to share.

It is never easy, ever.

The reaction your mother gave, honestly, surprised me, but well.....she's still working the JW angle for all its worth. That part doesn't surprise me.

Every once in awhile, I get an e-mail or PM from someone I do not know, and they 'come out' to me.

Sometimes I do not have easy answers for them, and most times, all I can do is be a listening ear, supportive and 'be there' for them, when and if necessary.

I have to admit Mysterious: I am very proud of you. You are one very brave young woman.

I wish you very best. Stick to your guns, and be the best person you can truly be.

Get that education, and enjoy your life.

We're here for you, and from the posts I've seen thus far: supportive.

Best wishes,
    Hugs from ol' Rayzorblade

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Thanks Rayzorblade. I was one of the lost souls pm'ing you as I recall. It's always nice to touch base with someone who's been there and understands a bit more. I hope I can be as supportive of other people as they have been of me.

Mom was truly the last straw in a lot of ways, I'd like to think now I can become the person I want to be. It's hard to do so while causing her the least amount of hurt. I feel almost smug when she starts in on the JW stuff because it has no hold over me, I know it won't do me any good. I just don't know how to let her down easy. Though considering she just walked into my room and said that she's glad today is over because it was the saddest day of her life I am somewhat resentful of her manipulations again.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    I'd like to think now I can become the person I want to be. It's hard to do so while causing her the least amount of hurt.

I know what you mean. I was surprised at how my parents reacted when I told them... that they weren't angry or shunning as I expected. They still loved me. At the same time, I know that I can't expect acceptance from them either. So it becomes rather difficult... I can't just shut them out, and I'm grateful that they haven't shut me out; but at the same time, I'm in a difficult period of transition, and what I need is unconditional support and acceptance, not a mere suspension of expressed disapproval.

All that I had to tell them was that I was leaving the org... I can only imagine the extra layer of complication from sexual orientation.

It will probably be much easier to have a healthy relationship with her once you've established some physical distance. It will make it easier for her to accept the fact that you're no longer under her control. Will you be going to college this year?

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Euphemism I'll be going to college next fall, so about 8 more months home with her still.

The problem I found mostly was that most resources targeted at parents of gays really did not take into account the JWs. If mom was not a JW I think we would be able to work past this all to total acceptance. But I think she sees my sexual orientation as stealing me from her and robbing me of a future. I don't see it that way but we all know that dubs are not apt to listen unless it comes from WT HQ.

• Poztate
    Poztate

Hi to all,

I would like to thank you for responding to this post in a positive and supportive manner.What my girl is going through is not easy for her or her mom.I hope still we can work through this as a family and come out the other end stronger and more united as a family.

If it was not for the influence of the JW beliefs we would be even further ahead.Time will only tell how all of this will play out.

Thanks esp to Gretchen, Razorblade and Euphemism

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit