WHAT'S NEXT AFTER "REFINEMENT"?

by fearnotruth22 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• fearnotruth22
    fearnotruth22

For years the WTS has been focusing on being more efficient, refinement, etc

that is why many departments in the wts have merged, others eliminated. The lates gossip from betthel a couple of years ago was that Bethel was downsizing and many bethelite would be sned home and those leaving would not be repalced, also the sale of wt property, the printibg of literaure overseas normally done here and more prining done upsate ny would seem to indicate a move out of brooklyn, to Patterson. Yet the WT is now planning to build in Dumbo. What's going on? Does anyone know what the WTS move is?

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Might be because of impending tax reasons.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

You have to remember, the WTS is just a book publishing company. As the market and economy changes, so will they. It's all about remaining profitable.

• fearnotruth22
    fearnotruth22

Anyone know why they are building in dunbo if the wts is downsizing its personel oin brooklyn? or has there been another change?

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Real Estate,property value will increase 'Dumbo'.They still haven't actually started building yet.The city is looking into it.However,the society is always looking for ways to increase $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.If they do build,labor and materials are cheap.When they sell,they sell high,huge profits$$$$$$$$$$$.It has nothing to do with any spiritual activities in Brooklyn.As most of the work is shifted to wallkill and paterson and other locations as mentioned in the 2004 Yearbook.

Blueblades

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Drum roll please....."And the 'beat' goes onnnnnn." What's after refinements? More refinements!

Guest 77

• fearnotruth22
    fearnotruth22

yeah billions of dollars to further kingdom interests

• module
    module

Hi Friends,

My first post!

My wife and I are ex-JWs (inactive), now living in Brooklyn, NY only blocks from Bethel.

As for Bethel's "Refinements", and plans for DUMBO, here's my take: 1) It does appear that they are aiming to downsize Brooklyn and move jobs to the country, so I was surprised to hear of their plans to develop the parking lot in DUMBO. 2) DUMBO is a trendy little neighborhood between the 2 bridges where wealthy hipsters and yuppies are moving in droves. The empty property alone must be in the $10M range, and property values are still rising. So... 3) If they go ahead and develop the lot using FREE LABOR (basically for the cost of materials, permits and NYC bribes) they can later "change their minds" about occupying it long-term, and sell it off for WAY more than they paid.

I was at Bethel from 1990-1993. During my time there, I had the dubious honor of sitting at "Breakfast Table #1" (from which Morning Worship is broadcast each day). This afforded me the opportunity of meeting all of the GB members, and many visiting and resident "Tall Trees" of the organization during that time. Now, years later, this has proven to be of help to me in re-evaluating (for myself) what the Society is and what they are about.

In my experience, the individual GB members themselves are not evil. They are mostly married, low-key, ultra-conservative guys. They are all very old, so they generally have a different worldview from youths?They are out of touch, not just doctrinally, but emotionally, politically with the world as it now is. They don?t seem to be driven by profit. I have seen most of their rooms- they are somewhat larger than those given to new Bethelites, maybe twice as big, but that is not saying much?they have such incredible seniority, I?d say they deserve the extra room, like any old retiree would. The largest room I saw was maybe 20x30 feet. They all drive funky late model cars- Buicks or Oldsmobiles?some no doubt leased, some owned, but nothing extravagant. They take 1-2 vacations each year, which are probably paid by Friends and whatnot, and we are not talking Club Med. Just simple Old people vacations. In short, I do not see monetary greed as a motivator for these guys.

Also, oddly, I do not see Power as too much of a motivator?not to most of them anyway. Maybe earlier in their careers, but not now. Sure, as ?Old Men? they want to be respected?kind of like tenured university academics?and they have much responsibility, but they just do not seem to be clamoring for more Power on a personal level.

The ones that ARE interested in power are immediately below them in the Bethel hierarchy. At Bethel, they have a joke term for them: ?Bethel Anorexics? (They are not ?Heavies?, but they think they are). Some of these up-and-coming 40-50 year olds are VERY calculating, cutthroat men. They are feared by the younger brothers below them, because if you cross them, they will take you down. They will humiliate you, and drive you out of Bethel if it is within their power. I know this to be true. I used to go out of my way to avoid them. My guess is that it is guys like these that are no doubt behind the DUMBO development--I would not put it past them to use their Brothers to finance a large real estate speculation, albeit "for the great good".

Once the Old GB dies off, it should be interesting to see what these guys do with thir newfound Power. Ugh. So glad I am out.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I agree with your view on the 50 year old group at Bethel. I served from 1987-1988 and I was set up and thrown out by a group like this. Several years later when having my judical hearing for DF it was mentioned to me my by one of the elders in my jud hearing that upon my RETURN an investigation would take place. This was almost four years later and I really didn't care anymore.

I didn't care for any of the governing body members, especially Gangas who appereard to me to be a evil person in disguise.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

In my experience, the individual GB members themselves are not evil. They are mostly married, low-key, ultra-conservative guys. They are all very old, so they generally have a different worldview from youths?They are out of touch, not just doctrinally, but emotionally, politically with the world as it now is. They don?t seem to be driven by profit. -------- They take 1-2 vacations each year, which are probably paid by Friends and we are not talking Club Med. Just simple Old people vacations. In short, I do not see monetary greed as a motivator for these guys.

Also, oddly, I do not see Power as too much of a motivator?not to most of them anyway. Maybe earlier in their careers, but not now. Sure, as ?Old Men? they want to be respected?kind of like tenured university academics?

The ones that ARE interested in power are immediately below them in the Bethel hierarchy. -------They are feared by the younger brothers below them, because if you cross them, they will take you down. They will humiliate you, and drive you out of Bethel if it is within their power. I know this to be true. I used to go out of my way to avoid them. My guess is that it is guys like these that are no doubt behind the DUMBO development--I would not put it past them to use their Brothers to finance a large real estate speculation, albeit "for the greater good".

Once the Old GB dies off, it should be interesting to see what these guys do with thir newfound Power. Ugh. So glad I am out.

This is probably one of the most balanced and interesting posts I have seen in a long time --stating facts, backed up by expererience and NOT bad-mouthing the GB --

THANKYOU FOR THIS POST

They are out of touch, not just doctrinally, but emotionally, politically with the world as it now is.

This sounds so true and explains much -- ultra-conservative and just out of touch

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit