Differences between UK and US Corona Virus TV Updates

by ThomasCovenant 32 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

For all of their genteel civility, and presentational superiority, the UK “herd immunity” policy of letting the virus spread in the population was barbaric nonsense. Even Trump could spot the flaw in that plan.

The UK is in a grim place when even Donald Trump had a more enlightened attitude to the crisis than our own Chief Medical Officer and Chief Scientific Adviser. Trump on herd immunity: "well you know it’s a concept, it’s a concept - if you don’t mind death."

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

@Slim

Australia, with the exception probably of NZ is leading the developed world in containing the spread of covid19, and our experts still talk about herd immunity, it is still a possibility that it could work in society’s favour over the coming months.

But don’t let me stop the sensationalism

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think the relative absence of coronavirus in Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa, is due to it being their summertime, in particular the greater number of hours of sunlight and its support for the immune system. It’s difficult to construe it as anything to do with their response, particularly Australia. If this is the case, unfortunately coronavirus will get worse in the Southern Hemisphere as they head into winter.

• Listener
    Listener

Sadly I think you may be right Slimboyfat and it will mean a much longer period of self isolation than many other countries.

• cofty
    cofty

A vaccine is probably 12-18 months away so like it or not herd immunity is part of the solution.

Keep the most vulnerable isolated, partial lockdown to keep hospital cases manageable and once the spread is under control gradually relax the rules.

The UK are just being more honest about it and treating us like adults.

IMO Boris and co - including Nicola Sturgeon - have been excellent.

• TheFadingAlbatros
    TheFadingAlbatros

Donald Trump knows how to use the automotive industry to provide hospitals with enough ventilators !!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

“Herd immunity” is a pretty big gamble with a lot of lives. It assumes people will be immune to the disease for a significant period after initial infection. We hope that’s the case, but we don’t know that yet. What if infection doesn’t confer lasting immunity? I’ve read that the Coronavirus that causes a cold only confers immunity for three months.

It also assumes that no effective treatment will arrive before a vaccine next year. What if an effective drug treatment is developed in a few months, and the UK has already allowed thousands to die in pursuit of hoped for “herd immunity”? When people are dead they are dead.

But most of all, it is a false dichotomy to say we can either save the economy or save lives. South Korea has demonstrated they can keep the virus to very low levels while keeping their economy going by intelligent use of testing, tracing, isolation, and wearing masks. If South Korea can do it so can we.

Letting the virus spread in the hope of herd immunity is barbaric nonsense, which no experts in any other country are advocating. Even Donald Trump knows it’s a stupid idea.

Cofty are you going out of your way to get infected to protect the rest of us? If so, then I salute your intellectual consistency. If not, then you are wishing others to die so you don’t have to.

• cofty
    cofty
    you are wishing others to die so you don’t have to

SBF - You epitomise everything that is wrong with online conversations.

You know you are misrepresenting my words but not for the first time be a smart arse is more important to you than dialogue. Maybe you need to get out more.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

@Slim

Summer finished in February over here, we are actually seeing the seasons swing, heat and humidity dying offf and we are heading into our winter(June) which is flu season.

“I’ve read that the Coronavirus that causes a cold only confers immunity for three months”

Slim, it’s the same virus. It’s still largely agreed that once it’s had you can’t get it again. It’s symptoms are more inline with a Rhinovirus for many it infects

With all your reading, how did you miss the part that a large percentage infected are likely asymptomatic carriers? You do know most will have a mild illness? Yes, for a small percentage of the population it’s very dangerous, and it’s unpredictability in this regard is a challenge.

With high rates of testing, and children that show little symptoms, the politicians were simply and rightly suggesting that we may return to a functioning society sooner than expected by using the immunity built through positive cases.

Keep reading buddy, you’ll get the hang of it

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

You don’t like the implications of what you are arguing for. Unfortunately that’s your problem not mine. If you are not volunteering to get the virus yourself then don’t advocate it for everyone else. To be for Boris said we could “take it in the chin” he probably didn’t imagine he would end up in hospital himself. Hopefully he will have a more compassionate approach when he gets better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit