Mad Cow Disease in Washington State

by Smyler 33 Replies latest social current

• Smyler
    Smyler

Hopefully not too many cows caught BSE from this cow, and moreso any humans..

But I do think that this is kinda of a payback to the Canadians..

We had one cow in Alberta that had BSE, and the US along with many other countries banned ALL Canadian beef. That affected all the beef farmers across Canada.

smyler

• Mulan
    Mulan

This is NOT good news. We bought a nice Prime Rib to have for Christmas dinner. I hope it's safe.

• IronGland
    IronGland
    We bought a nice Prime Rib to have for Christmas dinner. I hope it's safe.

From what I've read, the incubation period is 4-5 years, so I guess you'll know if the Prime Rib was worth it around 2009.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Thats it I am back to eating Chicken.

Will

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

DO Not, I repeat, do not eat the Prime Rib. I will provide my address to send all your tainted beef for further study????

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Fortunately this is far away from me... about 40 miles.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I'm just glad to be a vegetarian.

Beefless in Seattle

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

ok I admit to not reading the article, please feel pity on me and skip to the good part. Where in WA did this incident occur?

Gretchen

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Seattleniceguy,

The more and more I read about all this crap, the more and more I am thinking of becoming a vegetarian.

Will

• Cowboy
    Cowboy

Mulan, your prime rib is safe - enjoy. The disease is transmitted through the nervous system, so unless you're eating brains or some part of the spinal cord, you won't get "Mad Cow Disease".

The disease doesn't spread directly between animals, either. Usually it's spread by feed containing animal proteins, which is illegal in the U.S., btw. BSE can appear spontaneously, probably a genetic fluke of some sort, which is likely what the case in Canada and this one (if it's proven to be BSE) are.

Yeah, the U.S. was more zealous than necessary about banning Canadian imports... And it appears that we may be about to pay for that.

CB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit