Holidays are a hard time for some...

by Billygoat 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

((Billygoat & Mozzer)) wishing you the very best of the festive season.

Tonight, I will be going to a private Christmas party at work. We have a huge spread, and usually staff, and regular customers are there. The building is closed, just to the staff/friends.

iiz2cool, Aztec and her son will be with me this evening, enjoying the festivities at the bar/tavern where I work: good food, good people and some cheer! It'll be lovely.

Glad to know you are going to have a lovely Christmas Andi. Couldn't happen to a nicer person.

Elsewhere: Andi is right. When you are NOT looking for it, it'll grab you by your underwear elastics when you least expect, actually.....you won't expect it all. It'll be the furthest thing from your mind.

Trust ol' Rayzorblade on that one, and (Billygoat) Andi's too.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Most of things a very good for you ... it's a blessing ... maybe just a little time till you get a chance to be in contact with your parent again ... At least somehow I'm sure they love you, it is only about the mess of the religion ... maybe it helps to bear it ... (still it is such a waste of love ... I know ...)

... Best wishes Andi ... Merry X-MAS ... Enjoy your life ...
    And I hope you'll get a chance to enjoy your familly again ...

• Carmel
    Carmel

Although I grew up not celebrating christmas and even after leaving the Borg I couldn't get into the "spirit" of it all, the whole winter season is something I looked forward to because of the winter solstice. I've always wanted to celebrate the turn of the season knowing that longer days were on the way.. then I moved to Alaska and I soon realized that the real cold came after the solstice.. and I mean COLD! Now I look forwared to "acknowledging" solstice then holding my breath until Groundhog's Day. Usually by then the last winter blast is about over and early March will bring significantly longer light and warmer temps..So I really like the first week of March best of all..

As to the meaning of Christmas, guess the lack of blood family has more than adequately been replaced with friends that are much closer. Family to me is a spiritual bond, not a physical one..

carmel

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

(sigh) I know...

I do love the Christmas season, the lights and the music, but I really miss being a kid at grandma's house, helping her make the food...knowing that metric buttloads of presents were in the offing (well, they seemed like metric buttloads when I was little...even though we didn't have lots of money). I dreamt I was at grandma's house this morning...

I wish I could get back the Christmases of those years I wasted as a JW and didn't go to her house!!!

She's been gone for several years, and it's been a few decades since I was a kid...

This summer we moved 1500 miles away from both our families to go to grad school.

I take small comfort in the fact that I'm feeding people, which was always grandma's big thing at the holidays. I have several friends who are international students and not able to go home over semester break. Of course, almost none of them are Christians, so not being home for Christmas is not such a big deal, but not being home at all kinda is. They're coming over Christmas day and I'm fixing some of the food that grandma and I used to make.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

You said, "I like who I am...I could be way worse." I think of the homeless often, not just this time of the year. My mom would always say, other people are worse off then you are, so true, so true.

Amazing how we can be in a crowd of friends, and yet feel so lonely. If I had the magic wand, I would grant you YOUR wish. A continued happy life to you and the family.

Guest 77

• ball.
    ball.

I must admit that I really do not look forward to Christmas as an ex-jw. Most of my friends go away to their families and as a single person I do pretty much nothing. Perhaps a trip to the pub on Christmas day - that's about it.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Neil's dad once told me that he and his wife would never attempt to take the place of my parents. But they would love me as THEIR child. For that I am thankful. They love me more than my parents were ever capable of. I guess I'm not just sad because I don't have my parents in my life.

Andi I went through the same thing with my family. Fortunately for me though, they were so rotten it didn't take me that long to quit missing them. It's probably always going to hurt, but time and healing in a loving atmosphere help cover the wound. As you move more and more toward who you are and recovering from where you came from, the pain becomes less and less until it really becomes quite tiny.

My last, and best, therapist told me once that children of abuse do not have someone (i.e., parents) who will give them a lot (emotionally, physicall and spiritually) all their life. Instead God gives them a lot of people who give all they have for a little while.

I've seen this in my own life. It doesn't replace the hole, and honestly nothing ever will, but it's a gift. What we do with that gift shows who we are and how far we've come from a bad place. Besides the idea that someone cares enough to notice has always meant something to me.

Be well and have a happy Christmas.

• Navigator
    Navigator

Andi

As the Senior member of the Megadude, Jade, Roo, Navigator family, I hereby authorize your official adoption into the clan. Your spouse will, of course, enjoy Associate Member privileges. God Bless You Both!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

(((((((Navigator Dad)))))))))

Thank you! You honor me!

Love you,

Andi

PS: Can I borrow the car tonight?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit