I need help to convince my mom that WTS is a big lie

by millie6169 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• millie6169
    millie6169

Hi everyone I'm new to this site and am just looking for some help as to the best way to go about talking to my mother about WTS.

I've told her about the hypocrisies of the Watchtower and cited some examples where they were wrong including about their association with the

United Nations....but she just yells thats a lie that's a lie..(in spanish)...lol

She is very dissapointed in me for leaving and says that the only day she will be happy is when I come back to the "truth"..but I'm convinced

that I will never go back to the WTS or take part in the mind-control of others.

So she said to give show her point by point why I think the WTS is wrong and put in a file and give it to her and she will give me her responses.

I love my mom very much that's why i want her to realize that the WTS is not a good investment and that it's all a big lie...but it seems like a lost

cause...but since she's given me this opportunity even though she knows she shouldn't read apostate litereature she says "she's not scared"...so

I would like to know if anyone can help me and some tips on the best things I should tell her about wts ...I mean I want her to know I know what I'm

talking about when I say that WTS has many flaws....She basically follows WTS blindly so I know if I present her with some good arguments she

will at least have to question her faith a little...Any kind of help is appreciated...thanx

• jgnat
    jgnat

You can't convince anyone who isn't ready to hear. There is the small matter of "free will". Consider families of alcoholics. They would dearly love to get their parent out of the trap, but if they are unwilling, there is little the family can do FOR THAT PERSON. You, though, still need help dealing with her. Get yourself educated and be prepared for any openings in the future. You may want to read this, Combatting Mind Cult Control by Steven Hassan.

Love her, drop seeds once in a while, and be patient. The best teacher is your good example.

• Soledad
    Soledad

I agree with jgnat its very hard to just come out with all the facts that you may know and have her accept it. what's worse than that is debating about "who's right;" in the end all that will accomplish is your mother labeling you an apostate and refusing to hear anything else. if you feel you really need to, just go very slowly, planting some seeds of doubt in her mind by asking very carefully chosen questions. www. freeminds.org has some great information on how to do that. good luck.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Greetings and welcome 6169. It would be nice it we could tie our family mebers to a chair and hit them over the head with a frying pan, wouldn't it, but it doesn't work that way.

Give them time and be patient. Often times by being 'pushy' you will deveolp a further gap in your relationship. As suggested, when you find an opening, be tactful and loving, this will work to your advantage. Remember also, if your mom doesn't want to change, she's not going to change.

Your also in the best position to know how your mother's reacts to certain situations. Give her and yourself time.

Guest 77

• Bofug
    Bofug

Here, tell her to read this:

In 1910 Russell wrote, "If anyone lays the Scripture Studies [short for a 7-volume WTS publication entitled Studies in the Scriptures, hereafter abbreviated as Studies] aside, even after he has used them, after he has become familiar with them, after he has read them for ten years?if he lays them aside and ignores them and goes to the Bible alone, though he has understood the Bible for ten years, our experience shows that within two years he goes into darkness. On the other hand, if he had merely read the Scripture Studies with their references and had not read a page of the Bible, as such, he will be in the light at the end of two years . . . " (WT Reprints, 9-15-1910, 4685). The WTS maintains that it is God?s reliable mouthpiece to the nations, and it claims to be God?s inspired prophet (WT, 4-1-1972, 197)?and yet its prophecies have repeatedly proven to be false. The only conclusion to be drawn is that the WTS is to be rejected as a false prophet.

Among other things, the WTS predicted the following:

1889"The ?battle of the great day of God almighty? (Rev 16:14) which will end in AD 1914 . . . " (Studies, Vol. 2, 1908 edition, 101).
    1891"With the end of AD 1914, what God calls Babylon, and what men call Christendom, will have passed away, as already shown from prophecy" (Studies, Vol. 3, 153).
    1894"The end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble" (WT Reprints, 1-1-1894, 1605 and 1677).
    1897"Our Lord is now present, since October 1874 AD" (Studies, Vol. 4, 1897 edition, 621).
    1916"The six great 1000 year days beginning with Adam are ended, and that the great 7th day, the 1000 years of Christ?s reign began in 1873" (Studies, Vol. 2, p. 2 of foreword).
    1917"Scriptures . . . prove that the Lord?s Second Advent occurred in the fall of 1874" (Studies, Vol. 7, 68).
    1918"Therefore, we may confidently expect that 1925 will mark the return of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and the faithful prophets of old" (Millions Now Living Will Never Die, 89).
    1922"The date 1925 is even more distinctly indicated by the scriptures than 1914" (WT, 9-1-1922, 262).
    1923"1925 is definitely settled by the scriptures. As to Noah, the Christian now has much more upon which to base his faith than Noah had upon which to base his faith in a coming deluge" (WT, 4-1-1923, 106).
    1925"The year of 1925 is here. . . . Christians should not be so deeply concerned about what may transpire this year" (WT, 1-1-1925, 3).
    1931"There was a measure of disappointment on the part of Jehovah?s faithful ones on earth concerning the dates 1914, 1918, & 1925 . . . and they also learned to quit fixing dates" (Vindication, 388, 389).
    1939"The disaster of Armageddon is just ahead" (Salvation, 361).
    1941"Armageddon is surely near . . . soon . . . within a few years" (Children, 10).
    1946"Armageddon . . . should come sometime before 1972" (They Have Found a Faith, 44).
    1966"Six thousand years from man?s creation will end in 1975, and the seventh period of a thousand years of human history will begin in the fall of 1975 C.E" (Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God, 29).
    1968"The end of the six thousand years of man?s history in the fall of 1975 is not tentative, but is accepted as a certain date" (WT, 1-1-1968, 271).

Besides false prophesies, the WTS has misled its members through countless changes in doctrine and practice:

"To worship Christ in any form cannot be wrong ... " (WT, 3-1880, 83). "It is unscriptural for worshippers of the living and true God to render worship to the Son of God, Jesus Christ" (WT, 11-1-1964, 671).

The men of Sodom will be resurrected (WT, 7-1879, 7-8). The men of Sodom will not be resurrected (WT, 6-1-1952, 338). The men of Sodom will be resurrected (WT 8-1-1965, 479). The men of Sodom will not be resurrected (WT 6-1-1988, 31). The men of Sodom will be resurrected (Live Forever, early ed., 179). The men of Sodom will not be resurrected (Live Forever, later ed., 179). The men of Sodom will be resurrected (Insight on the Scriptures, Vol. 2, 985). The men of Sodom will not be resurrected (Revelation: Its Grand Climax at Hand! 273).

"There could be nothing against our consciences in going into the army" (WT, 4-15-1903, 120). Due to conscience, Jehovah?s Witnesses must refuse military service (WT, 2-1-1951, 73).

"We may as well join in with the civilized world in celebrating the grand event [Christmas] . . . " (WT Reprints, 12-1-1904, 3468). "Christmas and its music are not from Jehovah . . . What is their source? . . . Satan the devil" (WT, 12-15-1983, 7).

"Everyone in America should take pleasure in displaying the American flag" (WT Reprints, 5-15-1917, 6068). The flag is "an idolatrous symbol" (Awake!, 9-8-71, 14).

A much longer list of such contradictions and doctrinal twists by the WTS could be formed, but this suffices to remove any reason one might have to believe that "It is through the columns of The Watchtower that Jehovah provides direction and constant scriptural counsel to his people . . . " (WT, 5-1-1964, 277). If that is the case, who is to say what will be taught tomorrow?
  • Double Edge
    Double Edge

I've never been a JW, but the following are copies I made from other JWD posts :

***Awake ! 2000 June 22 - Do Not Be a Victim of Propaganda!

"A fool will believe anything."?PROVERBS 14:15, TODAY'S ENGLISH VERSION.

THERE is a difference?a big difference?between education and propaganda. Education shows you how to think. Propaganda tells you what to think. Good educators present all sides of an issue and encourage discussion. Propagandists relentlessly force you to hear their view and discourage discussion. Often their real motives are not apparent. They sift the facts, exploiting the useful ones and concealing the others. They also distort and twist facts, specializing in lies and half-truths. Your emotions, not your logical thinking abilities, are their target.

*** The New Creation 274 (not yet on CD-ROM) *** All the members of the body united to the Head are to have confidence and to look for the fulfillment of his promises: but, nevertheless, are to "try the spirits"--to test the doctrines from whomsoever they emanate. The proving does not imply a lack of confidence in those recognized as divinely directed channels of truth; but it does imply a faithfulness to the Lord and to the Truth as superior to all human teachers and their utterances;--it implies also that they are not listening for the voice of man, but for the voice of the Chief Shepherd; that they feast upon his words and love them-love to masticate them and to digest them. Such members of the body grow stronger and more rapidly in the Lord and in the power of his might than do others, because more attentive to the Lord?s leading and instruction.

*** w55 5/1 259 Will You Reason on Religion? *** Is it showing hatred to disagree with someone?s religious doctrines? Far from it! An intelligent discussion can be greatly beneficial. Sometimes even a degree of controversy may be a good thing, stirring us to investigation. Too few people really have investigated their religion. How did you choose your religion? Did you merely accept the one your parents had, or did you examine the facts for yourself? Is yours an inherited religion, or a believed one? There can be a great difference between the two.

?Mankind?s Search for God"

*** sh 8 1 Why Be Interested in Other Religions? *** "To study different religions need not imply infidelity to one?s own faith, but rather it may be enlarged by seeing how other people have sought for reality and have been enriched by their search." Knowledge leads to understanding, and understanding to tolerance of people with a different viewpoint.

*** sh 10 1 Why Be Interested in Other Religions? *** 15 With the wide diversity of religious expression that has developed around the world over the past 6,000 years, it is at least educational and mind broadening to understand what others believe and how their beliefs originated. And it might also open up vistas of a more concrete hope for your future.

WT Nov 15 1963 - It is not a form of religious persecution for anyone to say and to show that another religion is false. It is not religious persecution for an informed person to expose publicly a certain religion as being false , thus allowing persons to see the difference between false religion and true religion

*** w50 8/15 263 Name and Purpose of The Watchtower *** The Watchtower does not claim to be inspired in its utterances, nor is it dogmatic. It invites careful and critical examination of its contents in the light of the Scriptures

WATCHTOWER DECEMBER 1, 1991 - A RELIGION THAT TEACHES LIES CANNOT BE TRUE

• onintwo
    onintwo

Nice job, Bofug. Very thorough, yet concise.

To 6169: I agree with most observers who wrote that you'll need to wait this one out pretty much. Be ready with the right word, but keep it short, and gentle. It's a long fall for some adherents! And the landing is without pity.

Also, I've heard this...."A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still." So you can't try too hard to "convince" someone. It's pretty much true that people have to come to some conclusions by themselves. Hopefully your mom is an observant lady and will "watch" the Watchtower.

• millie6169
    millie6169

thank you so much i'm going to take it easy with her because she is very stubborn ..lol

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Millie,

How about a big sign in the front yard reading "The WTS is a Big Lie"

Seriously though...good luck.

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Check out the letter that an elder sent to the Society (on the another elder starting to question thread). Print it out and tell her these issues are starting to bother the friends. That way you take the focus off of you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit