Threat level raised to "Orange"

by DanTheMan 33 Replies latest social current

• LucidSky
    LucidSky
    And, you honestly believe terrorists care about Columbus Ohio?

Put yer mind at ease there lad

That don't make me feel any better... I live near DC!

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I understand your point, Sheila, but I think the question of what the average citizen is supposed to do is valid. If before 9/11 there were a terror alert, do we imagine that those people would not have gone to work in the Twin Towers that day? Would the alert have done anything practical? I can see getting it out to law enforcment people and hospitals. I does seem hard to deny that this administration is using fear to control people and distract from other issues.

SNG

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

SS:Point taken skeptic

Sheila, ever been to chatrooms where moms are grieving their dead sons and daughters in Iraq?

SF: It is clear that YOU haven't the parents that are gold star Mom's and Dad's realize that "luck" has nothing to do with it, nor HAS ANY OF THEM EVER BEEN BITTER AT THEIR SONS CHOICE. We all support each other because it is never easy having your son in the service whether they are riding a desk or a tank. Your ASSumption that I haven't is just that another assumption you make with no facts to support it. Typical isn't it.

Since my son is in SECURITY forces I would say that I have as much to worry about as anyone now wouldn't you?

SNG: It is as with anyone if you have the information then you can make a choice. Had we known on 9/11 the people in the towers would have had the correct information to make a CHOICE and isn't that what is should be, instead of a horrific event that occured. Maybe a person would have gone to work but they may have taken the time to tell their loved ones how much they loved them, or kissed their wife goodbye or maybe had been a little kinder on the subway....we'll never know now.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, what do you do when there is a "general alert" ? Exactly ...

It's like when the home office in the UK warns people not to travel to Bali and Turkey after a bomb has gone off saying "it's not safe". Funny, they didn't say not to travel to the USA after a terrorist attack there?!

Then, after giving the warning about travel to certain countries, they will say that there is a "general threat" at home! What are we supposed to do? Not visit (ie. leave) our own country?

Unless the information is specific and you can do something about it then it's useless and meaningless and just plays into the hands of:

a) the terrorists who want to disrupt people's lives

b) the politicians who want to keep people in fear so that they will support giving them more power and money to spend

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Yes, what do you do when there is a "general alert" ? Exactly ...

Duck and cover?

• Satanus
    Satanus
    what do you do when there is a "general alert" ?

stay inside and drink beer

stay inside and play video games

stay away from tall buildings

stay away from brown people

don't go to lebanese restoraunts

stay home from work

drive fast

SS

• sf
    sf

Your ASSumption that I haven't is just that another assumption you make with no facts to support it. Typical isn't it.

Typical of what Sheila?

It was a clear question. Why didn't you just say yes or no, I have not been to one of those chatrooms? Why all 'this' and no real answer to MY question?

THAT is what is typical.

Nice ASSuming on your part here too lady.

And luck has everything to do with it.

sKally

• bebu
    bebu

(((((Dan))))) A lot of people feel like you do; it is not just ex-JWs who have moments (or days) of panic and fear. It's a normal human reaction to perceived threats. ...Each day is full of various threats which we've grown quite accustomed to so they don't register to most of us; and no one lives with any guarantee of safety, anywhere. Life has always been this way...

Besides alerting the public to what is perceived as a higher chance of terrorist threat, there are also particular types of extra security measures that are implemented at each stage. If the threat IS real, then such measures can help prevent its implementation. Each time you hear of a failed plot, we know that something has worked properly.

It is not unreasonable to think that some cells, after the capture of Saddam and during the holiday season of their enemies, would try to work out plans for terrorism at this time. Though some may think it is unlikely, it is surely not improbable.

(Ironic that the day of raising the alert is the 4th Sunday of Advent, the Sunday to celebrate peace.)

bebu

• smurfy
    smurfy

I think people should always be prepared no matter what the "alert" status is. America learned a very valuable and unfortunate lesson on 9/11. No one ever expected anything like that to happen here, almost as if we were invisible. Now, unfortunately, we know different. I don't think living in fear is the answer though. I just try to be grateful for all the time I have with my family and friends. I try to enjoy as much of life as possible. I am prepared if something tragic were to happen depending on what the circumstances were. But I don't look at it from a fear point. I have bottled water and canned food stored in my basement and I try to keep that supply updated (wouldn't want any rotten food ) but I would need that if there was a black out or blizzard too. I must admit that back in February when the alert was raised I was one of the people who went out and bought the plastic sheets, duct tape and everything else. Most of my family and friends made fun of me but I felt it was the right thing to do personally. Now I know that I have done what I can and when the alert is raised I guess I may pay more attention to where I am going and the crowds that will be there but whatever is going to happen will happen. Hopefully we will all have a safe and happy holiday! God Bless!!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Thanks for all the responses, sorry it took me so long to get back to this. I went to a Christmas party at my dad's house. Lots of fun, I so regret those 10 years that I basically shunned my extended family. They're a great buncha crazy Catholics. LOL

As far as this thread topic goes, it's not being a direct target that I fear, it's more of a generalized fear of the whole western economic and political world collapsing like a house of cards, and life becoming exponentially more difficult in the ensuing chaos. Kinda like Mad Max or something.

I just can't shake the JW notion that everything is bad and getting worse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit