A Merry Cajun Christmas to Yall!

by Frannie Banannie 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Ol' St. Nick be roundin' up da gators fo' to pull his skiff, so yall have a good 'un, ya heah? Jes' don' drink till yall git stiff....an' by da by, visit da followin' URL to read da Cajun Night Befo' Christmas befo' yall snuggle down in da duvet:

http://christmas.rtdl.net/stories/CajunChristmas.htm

Frannie B

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Frannie:

I have one word for that new Avatar: BWAHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHH!!!

CG

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

LOL, CG! Yup, I finally found the perfect avatar for that name you gave me...heh

Frannie B

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Merry Xmas back at you.

The new avatar is fabulous and sexy.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

LOL, Darkuncle29! Thanks, chere... (simpers)

Cheers!

Frannie B

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Joyeux Noel et Bonne Annee.

Votre ami de la Louisiane

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Dat was lovely, Kenneson....wherey'at, cher?

Frannie B

• smack
    smack

Damn, I'm spending too much thyme on this site, I understood that foreign lingo that Fran used.

Back atchya Frannie

Steve

Tasmanian Overbeer

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

I think I need more lanquage lessons for this one.....

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Frannie,

I was born in the heart of Cajun country, Breaux Bridge (near Lafayette, La.), was reared and graduated in Carencro (also nearby) but am currently residing in Tallahassee, Florida. I speak Cajun, which is a dialect different from the standard French. It includes many English words (people sometimes refer to it as Frenglish). The reason was that as new inventions came along the Cajuns simply adopted these English words. Nor is it a written language. It has been passed on through the centuries by word of mouth. But alas, I fear it may someday disappear. From the early 1900s on Cajuns were forbidden to speak Cajun at school and it was discouraged at every turn. So now, only the older crowd who learned it at home from their parents can still speak it fluently. But they didn't hand it down to their children (they wanted to save them from the humilation they had experienced). The younger set may know phrases, words and songs but can't really speak it. The schools finally realized their error and tried to have the standard French taught as an elective, but I'm afraid it has been too little too late. Attempts, however, have been made to phonetically transcribe the language. I was one of those who learned Cajun before English, so it has never left me. Also, I was one of those who opted for two years of the elective standard French; so I was able to learn the difference between what was considered the proper French (standard) and the not proper French (Cajun). But that was eons ago (in 1961-62).

Having said all this, I feel that Cajun music and Cajun food are here to stay. The latter has always been popular and there has been a revival of the former.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit