Libya to give up WMD!!

by imallgrowedup 44 Replies latest social current

• Satanus
    Satanus

grow

For what it is worth, SS, I really wasn't looking to get in a heated debate about this.

That's cool

SS

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

SS -

For what it is worth, SS, I really wasn't looking to get in a heated debate about this.

That's cool

Thank you. Although I have strong opinions when it comes to politics, I really do enjoy hearing other's opinions and debating. I truly despise the "knock-down, drag-outs" I've seen on other boards and try to avoid them at all costs. I'm not always as successful at being as respectful as I would like to be, but I do make an effort. I appreciate that even though we disagree, that you've been respectful of me. Thank you!

growedup

P.S. Caution! All bets are off when I'm pms-ing! You just happened to catch me on a good day!

• Simon
    Simon

here ya go peeps ... something more than an announcement by politicians. As ever, it appears they have been spinning things to make themselves look good.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3338713.stm

Although President George W Bush has sought to portray Libya's willingness to admit inspectors to examine its programmes of weapons of mass destruction as a success for American policy, Colonel Muammar Gaddafi may well feel that the success is really his.

After all, the next stage should be that, soon, the US will renew formal diplomatic relations - and that has been the Libyan objective since 1992, when United Nations sanctions were imposed.

Indeed, the Gaddafi regime has been trying for this since 1986, when US sanctions forced American oil companies to leave the country.

Over the alleged weapons programmes, Libya had, nine months ago, proposed inspections.

So the American acceptance of its offer probably says more about President Bush's success in countering his many domestic critics than about overcoming Libyan resistance to inspections of its WMD programmes.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Wow, a BBC report. Now, that's objective and fair and balanced

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Simon,

Hmmmmmmmmmm ... I dunno! It doesn't fit with my world view. The british media must be trying to spin something to gain some political ground again!

growedup

P.S.

After all, the next stage should be that, soon, the US will renew formal diplomatic relations - and that has been the Libyan objective since 1992, when United Nations sanctions were imposed.

Looks like our man was hell bent on getting sanctions lifted! It only took him 11 years to get the ball rolling! Imagine that! And to think that Saddam still needed more time after 12 years! I sure hope the world can keep up with the pace the Libyans have set! Moamar, Moamar, he's our man! If he can't do it, no one can!

Over the alleged weapons programmes, Libya had, nine months ago, proposed inspections.

Nine months ago?! The dickens you say! What could have happened nine months ago that made him realize that his speedy reaction and zealous campaign to rid himself of the sanctions might have needed a little shot in the arm?! No major world events going on then - that I can think of. Hmmm ... There just simply can be no other explanation! Ghaddafi must have wanted to beat Saddam into the Book of World Records for quickest response time to sanctions! I bet ol' Saddam is just cursin' him under his breath right about now!

(Just yankin' yer chain!)

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Simon,

After reading this article through, it appears to me to be the most contradictory article I've ever read! The premise of the article is that Gadaffi is an honest guy who just wants to make things right and that absolutely no credit is due to the current war in Iraq. However, there are a lot of inconsistencies in this article.

Indeed, the Gaddafi regime has been trying for this since 1986, when US sanctions forced American oil companies to leave the country.

Although Libya's idiosyncratic leader had not bothered overmuch when the US broke relations in 1980, the departure of the oil companies also meant the loss of American oil technology upon which Libya relied.

First of all, the article states that it was Libya's objective to renew US diplomatic relations since 1992. The very next paragraph states that Gaddafi was trying for this since 1986. Then, the next paragraph states that Gaddafi hasn't bothered to do too much since 1980! How can this be explained?

growedup

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief
    Libya giving up WMDs is moot, imo. The recent problem in the world hasn't been due to rogue states. It's been due primarily to Islamic extremists, that can exist in any country even our own. Remember the 9/11 attackers trained and prepared for their attacks in the USA and Germany.

True enough - but remember, who paid for their training? They had their apartments paid for, they had their flight lessons paid for, by Al Qaeda, which was residing under the leadership of Osama bin laden in Afghanistan. In order to accomplish their mission, they have use the tools of civilization: banks, safe places to live, communications systems, revenue sources. All of which require a nation that isn't paying too much attention to what they are up to. In a word, a friendly host nation that is at odds with international opinion. A rogue state, as it were.

While in the states, the terrorists run afoul of the authorities, in fact, their manual goes into detail about avoiding drawing attention to oneself. Paying bills on time, obeying traffic laws, that sort of thing.

CZAR

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

So the message is -- "We (Anglo-American World Power) woiuld love diplomacy but we ar epreapred to use force if necessary. All great news.

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

exjw -

Actually, I think the message of the article Simon posted is that Libya really needed the boost to their economy that American oil technology has provided them in the past and that Gaddafi is not such a nobel peace prize candidate after all. Additionally, he just happened to come to this epiphany just days before the immenent strikes against Iraq.

Kind of interesting to see another country needing the US for oil - and that this decision is made when they realize that the only way they can get the help they want is to comply with sanctions both the US and the UN have imposed upon them. Of course, knowing they could be next in the war against terror when they admitted to being a nation friendly to terrorists I'm sure was no small impact on this decision. Basically, it was time to get their economy back on a roll while at the same time, making sure they don't go down before that happens.

growedup

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief
    Actually, I think the message is that Libya really needed the boost to their economy that American oil technology has provided them in the past. Kind of interesting to see the shoe on the other foot - a country needing US because of oil!

yep. If we don't buy their oil, these countries have nothing else to sell.

they need us just as much as we need them. I just hope that they are saving their money for when the oil runs out.

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit