I was quite tolerant of this guy until now

by never a jw 47 Replies latest social current

• never a jw
    never a jw

President Trump is definitely a demagogue, a populist, and not a great extemporaneous speaker, just to mention few of his more conspicuous flaws. However, I was going along because "it's the economy stupid"

Now that has changed. He wants to impose big tariffs on imported aluminum and steel. I am sure this is very pleasing to his base and few business people. But this decision has the potential to bring the world economy into a recession. I thought Republican were in favor of free trade, competition and business friendly policies. I certainly welcome the opinion of his supporters to clarify this flagrant inconsistency that is being criticized by both sides of the political spectrum.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

I certainly prefered him to her, though im not sure that makes me a supporter of his... that said this is a bad idea. Protectionism never works.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I'm glad I don't live in America seeing the results of 2 party politics. Hilary or Trump. bleedin' 'ell what crappy choices for you all.

Mind you, we have complete twats as leaders in the UK.

I think the type of people that want to be in charge, be politicians and leaders are all self serving scum. That's in any country.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Protectionism has work for China, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, and many others. Open borders and free trade has moved millions of American jobs overseas and now the average household income adjusted for inflation’s is no better then one head of household working in the early 1970’s ,

Free trade in America has only benefited the wealthy! I’m not a Trump fan but reality is reality the American trade plan is a joke!!!

• nugget
    nugget

it will backfire as US exports of aluminium and steel finished products will then receive additional tarrifs. China has used this before.

• cofty
    cofty

Being obnoxious but competent is tolerable.

Being charming but incompetent is a problem.

Being obnoxious and incompetent is unacceptable.

• sir82
    sir82

Based on what I read, it sounds like he reached this decision entirely on his own, against the strong advice of Cohn, his chief economic adviser. In fact, it seems he just kind of blurted it out - none of the WH staff knew he was going to say that in advance.

He keeps shedding the people he trusted, making himself more and more isolated.

And the Mueller investigation is circling ever closer. So he's not only isolated but feels threatened.

Expect even more bizarre statements and actions in the months to come.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Sir 82,

"And the Mueller investigation is circling ever closer"

I just wonder if this whole thing is a distraction, a very expensive distraction for the rest of the world.

My other theory is that his friends, rich supporters and/or family can benefit greatly from big swings in the metals market. My last theory is that he may be as incompetent as he seems.

Well put Cofty!

• never a jw
    never a jw

Crazyguy,

The standard of living has gone consistently up for everyone, everywhere. The rich has acquired wealth at a faster pace than the rest of us, but the standard of living of just about everyone has gone up.

Just a small example, few decades ago traveling abroad was a dream for most of us. Today, that is accessible to a huge number of people. Cable TV, cell phones and many other life's comforts are the norm nowadays. Granted few of those thing didn't exist in the 70's, but quality of life overall has improved for everyone. I credit innovation and free markets for that.

Protectionism lowers the standard of living for everyone. You will see...or maybe not. I hope...I believe POTUS is either bluffing or someone is going to bring some sense into his narcissistic brain.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Annnnd now we gone full on into leftist looneyville. Mueller isnt circling anything. Trump inst crazy. He is far from the first to ever go or suggest the protectionist route. Get a grip.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit