Now that the US captured it's former ally Saddam Hussein...

by logansrun 24 Replies latest social current

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to cease contact with everyone I know because, while they are pretty much OK now (even though they have their faults, 'tis true), it's possible that they may in the future turn into bloodthirsty genocidal maniacs.

And I wouldn't want to be held responsible for anyone's future actions by supporting them now, would I?

Expatbrit

• bigboi
    bigboi

Let's face it everybody, Saddam was the victim of a 10 yr okie doke.

• Simon
    Simon

I mean, "Why did you need to fight the Iranians" ? go research ...

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Simon,

Perhaps you were still reeling from the Great Disappointment of 1975 back then...but the Iranians...they picked the fight with us dude. Radical Islam has NEVER helped ANYONE.

• Badger
    Badger

Yeru:

Even the Iranians had a reason...we put the Shah in power twice, the second time after they kicked him out. Radical Fundamentalism of any faith never helps anyone, but sometimes people are pushed to that point. Fortunately, we've pretty much left them alone after that and are getting close to decent relations with them, and leaving them alone has allowed the Moderates in Iran to grow in power.

Here's hoping Dubya doesn't feel compelled to yell "bring 'em on" to Iraq's neighbor.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Logan, The following quote tells me this is not a sensationalist. He actually down played the fact that the US provided the Chemical Warfare technology that was used on the Kurds.

The United States also
    provided dual-use equipment that it knew Iraq was using for military
    purposes. (See Joyce Battle, ed., "Shaking Hands with Saddam Hussein:
    The U.S. Tilts toward Iraq, 1980-1984," National Security Archive
    Electronic Briefing Book No. 82, Feb. 25, 2003,
    http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/.)]

March 28, 1988 -- Uses chemical weapons against Kurdish town of Halabja,
    killing estimated 5,000 civilians.

[From Iraq's first use of chemical weapons in 1983, the U.S. took a very
    restrained view.

Logan later said

let's not forget that the US both FUNDED this man as well as turned a BLIND EYE to atrocities he committed

Funded and gave him the technology. I am in favor of removing Saddam but we (US) must accept some responsibility for creating the monster and the atrocities he commited. Its just HISTORY. Cant get around it. Honest thing to do is admit it and never do it again. Jst2

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Double Edge

Where do you think we get our information over here? Certainly not from the government owned BBC like your country. We as a people have been thinking for ourselves for a long time now, thank you very much.... this is evident from the diverse opinions that we have on any one subject.

The "diverse opinion" comment was a good point. We do have that and it is the result of living in this country that allows us freedom of speech as far as differing on political issues. While most of Europe, including UK, has this same freedom a few countries elsewhere do not. However, it was brought to my attention by a live in Russian exjw, after months of arguing, that freedom of the press does not guarantee ACCURATE INFORMATION. In fact, the US has a handicap that most of Europe does not suffer: Our Religion of Nationalism warped by Christian Fundamentalist. This has not only tainted our press but also our foreign policy. THAT, is why we are having this discussion. This reality does not make us bad and everything we do wrong. But is a reality the US must face and deal with. Steve

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Dolphman, most of us can count past two. Therefore, you might want to think twice, pardon the pun, before starting off any kind of debate point with the words, "The US had two options to deal with Iran."

Intelligent people know better.

• dolphman
    dolphman

Oh six of nine, how desperate you sound. Can you tell me what the third option was?

Lob cruise missles at empty tents in the desert perhaps while getting a blowjob in the oval office? Sorry, that doesn't work in the real world.

Instead of just blabbing, why don't you come up with an answer. I mean, any idiot can criticize, how about stepping up and telling us what the other options are. An intelligent person should have no problem with this.

I'm waiting.

• logansrun
    logansrun

I would just like to ask dolphman, Yeru, expat (who should know better) and the other conservatives a very simple question:

Do you trust what your government leaders tell you? Do you think they would have any reason at all at distorting the truth?

Bradley

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit