For Migraine Sufferer's

by Guest 77 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

OK, for those who suffer migraine attacks, when do you get them, and what do you do for them? Prior to an injury in the school yard, (a teenager at the time) I never had a headache. My injury had all the symptoms of a migraine. I've been to chiropractors, acupuncture, etc, and it has remained with me to this day. I couldn't finish school because I would get them two to three times a week. I would get them when I least expect them and I would experience numbness in the hands, arms and face. My vision was hampered, couldn't stand light or any type of noise, in fact, thinking was torture. Puking up bile was a challenge. The acid coming through your throat was one burning sensation, so, when I was attacked, I welcomed death and that was many times.

I get mine when I'm overly tired or when I'm reading and watching TV at the same time. Certian foods and sweets would trigger a migraine. I learned to fight my migraine with light, the very thing I despised. I would ride a bicycle or walk and 'force' myself to be exposed to light. Using this method over the years has lessen the duration of the pain and vision problem. Today, it will last thirty minutes the max., the shortest can be ten minutes. It's a happy day when I don't get a migraine.

What do you do for yours and how long do they last?

Guest 77

• HyTech
    HyTech

I was diagnosed with migraines when I was 5 years old. I have suffered with them all of my life and until about 4 years ago there was nothing I could do for them. A doctor I was seeing at the time told me about a drug called Imitrex. It comes in both pill form and injectable form. The pills vary in doses between 25mg, 50 mg and 100 mg and can take about 2 hours to get rid of the headache. The injections take about 10 minutes to get rid of the headache. Hope this helps. I know how bad these headaches can be.

Hy

• Garnet
    Garnet

Hi Guest,

I have suffered from Migaines for 3 years. I was in a car crash that has left me with the disease and have been learning one day at a time how to cope with the challanges that a sufferer can face. Until I started taking my new medication which has been considered my "miracle drug (so far)" I was having migraine attacks up to 3-4 times a week, but along with those migraines, I was having convulsions. I was being treated by acupuncture, which in combo with meds, was working wonderfully, but my work schedule and the acupuncturist schedule were too much to juggle, making more stress. I would at least get an aura, which it looks like yours came on all of a sudden. My neck would tense up, I would lose vision, numbness hands, feet, face, light, thinking, etc....nausea was horrible, although I didnt vomit as much as much as some people do - I'm just not a "puker" I would also wish for my head to be put through a wall or at least someone to put me out of my misery.

I get mine mostly when I am tired, sick stress, or certain foods do trigger (red wine...BIG NO NO). A cold compress helps, but does not cure. I have a wonderful pill that knocks me out so that I dont have to put up with the pain. I also have other meds that help with the pain so that I can at least still function like a normal human being. I give you credit for forcing yourself....I cannot bring myself to do it...I cry myself to "non sleep" when I have one...usually it will be to some state of unconsciousness, or like I mentioned earlier, I have convulsions which exhaust me so much that I pass out afterwards. My migraines can last anywhere from 1/2 hour (cluster headache) to a full 5/6 hours (thats when I take "the good stuff") I have never heard of the shots...maybe I should inquire about them. I do take Topamax every night before bedtime as a prevenative, but still have the abortative medication for the "breakthrough" migraines.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk some more...I havent really talked to others about it, it seems that a lot of sufferers feel that they are "just headaches".

Take Care,

Garnet

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

My hubby has suffered from severe migraines for several years. He has tried just about everything this side of surgery including acupuncture, herbal remedies, alternative and self-medicating. So far, the only thing that has helped him is 4 stiff shots of freshly brewed espresso when he feels one coming on.

He has never been a coffee drinker but one day I gave him a quadshot after someone suggested it and it worked.

It doesn't always work but it does help him a lot and even eliminates the migraine about 50 to 60% of the time, if he doesn't wait too long. Once he is in full-blown migraine mode, nothing really helps except a dark quiet room.

I use to get migraines but it was from my blood sugar bouncing off the walls. As soon as I found out I was borderline diabetic and adjusted my sugar intake or the types of foods I eat and when I eat it, I no longer get them, knock on wood.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Hytech, Garnet and Plmkrzy thanks for your input. As to pills, I 've avoided taking aspirins. Aspirins later back fired on me. If I took aspirin today, I would turn into a hulk like creature. My entire face would puff up and red blotches would start appearing on my body. One time a nurse saw these blotches popping up out my body and got scared. The mistake I made was, I downed a pepsi while taking aspirins!!!!!! It was a dangerous mix for me.

Plmkrzy yes coffee does work but I've also had migraines after taking coffee. I still drink coffee. I'm glad you got yours solved, but as you said, knock on wood.

Hytech, no, I've never tried injections.

Garnet, wow, sounds like you have what I got when I got injured. I've had mine now for over four decades. As my post said, I've learned to treat myself. The early days were miserable. What's annoying is, you get it when you lest expect it. Just when your enjoying a movie or some activity wham it hits you. If anything can spoil/ruin something you enjoy doing, a migraine will !!!!!

Yeah, I remember those dark room days. I would hide under the covers not wanting to see light or hear any noise whatsoever. That numb feeling you talk about, is something else.

As I've said, fighting the light really works. It takes a lot of will power and guts to fight the light. As to diet, I've stayed away from salt for the past 15 years, I'm eating less meat, no pork or ham. I still have bad habits but I know I will have to pay the price.

I can really, really sympathize what your going through. Thinking of death was no problem, bring it on. For me, I didn't want to become dependant on pills so I stay away from them, and I'm happy I did.

Yes, I'll have to drop you a line. Thanks again for your input.

Guest 77

• Nikita
    Nikita

Hi Guest 77,

I have had them since I was about 5. Usually mine would last all day long. I didn't really find anything to help me until I was in my 20's. It was a prescription drug called Midrin. Since then, as Hy mentioned they have come up with even better prescribed drugs to treat migraines, besides Imitrex, theres' another drug which I have tried called Max Alt.

Over-the-counter meds that you may or may not have tried that seem to work for some types of tension and migraine headaches are Excedrin and Motrin.

Also, there is a preventative type of treatment which I used with good results-Verapamill or Covera- which are blood pressure meds, but they seem to help in prevention of migraines.

I would urge you to talk with your physician-as a good one will work with you to find a treatment that works.

Nikita

• Momofmany
    Momofmany

I never heard of fighting the light. I usually turn all the lights off, tv off, no noise. (which is no small feat with 6 kids lol) I take Excedrin Migraine, cold cloths on my head, and lay down as still as I can. I was also suffering from high blood presure, which did not help with the pain. I have that under control for the time being, and the migraines are less frequent. I also get more sleep now. I suffer greatly if I am not getting enough sleep.

Hope this was some kind of help.

• ChimChim
    ChimChim

I get migranes all the time... I haven't had a serious one for a long time. but when I got them I got them bad and nothing could really help them to go away, but i took asprine or advil the other times i had them and it helped a little... nothing major

C.C

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Remember Susan Olsen, who played Cindy Brady on The Brady Bunch? She went around the country talking about migraine awareness, actually I think she was a paid spokeperson for a drug company. She suffered migraines all the time and listening to her struggle through her childhood with them was very interesting. Sometimes during the week of filming the show, she had to lay down immediately after filming because of the intense lights, noise, etc. of TBB set. Finally as an adult, she has conquered her constant migraines!

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Thanks Momof many, Treshappy, Chimchim and Nikata. We didn't have that type of drugs in my days to relieve the migraine pains. But like I said, I didn't want to become dependant on pills. I'll take them when I'm extra tired.

Treshappy, did Susan Olsen's migraines vanish by taking certian type of drugs? This sounds like an unusual case. Vanishing migraines?

Momofmany, this fighting the light is what I tried when I was a teenager. It took many years before it finally kicked in, that's because when you throw in the other factors such as wanting to vomit and holding it in and having numbness, I couldn't always fight the light it was to unbearable. This experiment took time, but it has worked for me. Oh yes, the light was bad for me, any type. It would be an interesting study to know why it works for me. I don't mind the pain afte the vision is restored but its that weird sensation and having visual problems, that was the pits. There no longer that severe.

It must be tough with having to take care of children and six at that! Wow, what a feat, how did you do it?

Nikita, do you know how many doctors I've seen in the course of forty years with this problem? I'm content with knowing how to handle my migraines when it attacks me, I fight back.

Thanks again for your input.

Guest 77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit