Does the Jehovah's Witnesses religoius cult create people with Narcissistic Personality Disorder ?

by Finkelstein 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rebel8
    rebel8

xian fundies tend to be this way. It attracts people who have an immature emotional need to be better than everyone else. And they get that need met in fundamentalist settings.

Fundamentalism also disregards the importance of intellect, logic, learning and critical thinking. Possessing those things tends to eliminate egotism.

Once you learn and understand the fact that there is no god and we are all equal products of an indifferent universe, it's more difficult to be narcissistic.

most personality issues are attributed to exposure. If you are surrounded by narcissists, then it is easy for you to become one

Yes, and possibly genetics as well, which is an issue for jws because many are born in or bred from >1 family of jws.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups
    If you're not, it will make a little, if you are a little, it will make you a lot. If you are a lot, you'll be right at home. Narcissistically speaking.
  • nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I think the JW culture is the perfect environment for a narcissistic personality to bloom in full force.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I think we are all narcissistic to some degree. We are programmed/wired to survive and even though we are capable of truly caring for others, we look out for ourselves first.

The JW religion feeds the narcissistic part of the human personality by constantly reminding it's members that they have an inside track with God and will be the only survivors of his wrath. They convince their members that it's loving concern for others that stirs them to do good works even though it's really about saving their own skins, first and foremost.

When a JW shuns a former Witness, it's not really about loyally sticking up for Jehovah. It's mostly an opportunity for them to feel superior and extra virtuous yet humble in a Watchtower approved way.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Does the Jehovah's Witnesses religoius cult create people with Narcissistic Personality Disorder

No, we are born with a selfish and narcissistic personality, the Watchtower only nurtures it to the limit.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I think JW's attract this to a certain degree. It's impossible to say of course without studying it, and I don't think institutions of higher learning are banging at the door of the GB trying to study it.

I think the majority of JW's rank and file are beat up and hanging on in spite of upset and likely to stay for friends and family. Hardly the narcissistic type.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

And what about the leaders of the JWS like this guy ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYKCuXD0NYg

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I agree with "never a jw", especially the GB they are never never wrong. If that is not a Narcissistic Personality I will eat your hat.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Well being of the opinion that Jehovah suffers from the malady for sure that it wouldn't be surprising that the Watchtower Organization has some drawing power over people that might be suffering from the disorder.

Probably those that have risen up the ranks to important positions of authority have it big time because it is hard to see a guy give his all to be at the top and not wonder what drive such a person to reach out for such positions of authority?

• anointed1
    anointed1

Thank you for posting that--very useful in understanding why organizations and individuals behave the way they do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit