Calling all - PLEASE!!! Big Step For Me.

by Doubtfully Yours 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Emma
    Emma

I've been there and done it and I'm still standing. You'll worry until you walk through the door and lightning doesn't strike you! All will be well

Emma

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Two years, trying many churches, from many denominations (after similarly spending a lifetime in the borg) - I still haven't be demon possessed (I don't think... ).

Go for it, and enjoy the experience.
    THe reality is not as weird as the anticipation.

• outnfree
    outnfree

Heh! Heh!

DY, I went to "church shop" BEFORE I left the Dubs and Jehovah didn't smite me, nor did demons upset my dreamlife.

And the first year I was out, I attended the Christmas Pageant at the local non-denominal church with another ex-JW buddy and we are both whole and [relatively] sane. It was lovely and, actually, comforting. Although I understand your fear, I also believe you won't be sorry if you go.

outnfree

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

DY:

I thought that, too! I've been to many a church since then, and basically it's all the same. Lightning won't strike you down, and there's no demons in there. It's just a building made of wood and stone (or maybe plastic laminates, I dunno), and therefore cannot harm you. The people, I'll bet, you will find surprisingly nice and I'm sure you'll have a good time. You just have to put that demon mindset aside, and go and enjoy yourself! Fuhgeddaboutit!

If lightning were to strike you down the day after you went to this party, believe me, it wouldn't be because Jehovah sikked the demons on you. It'd just be because lightning happened to strike you. Just superstitious rubbish, darlin!

<said in best Greek Mamma voice> Go! my friend! Have a wonderful time! I'm anxiously looking forward to hearing all about it!!!

CG

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

DY, there may be demons in Baptist churches: I actually preached in one of them several times!

But now it's over, so I think they're safe.

Enjoy it, but don't forget your critical mind!

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Well, yesterday I was in a church listening to my girlfriend do the soprano part in Camille Saint-Saens Sheet Oratorio de Noel.

I am as irreligious as it gets, an atheist with attitude, a walking argument against organised religon just waiting to happen.

Going to church to see my lady sing is no problem. Hell, I'll even marry her in church one day, all things being equal.

But Christmas Mass or actual 'acts or whorship'? Nah.

What you have is buildings where things that are important to people you like/love /mix with happen; bizzares, plays, performances.

It's a different kettle of fish to worship, for me least-ways

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Just a point of note:

You are getting opinions here from those who are religious, areligious, and indifferent.
    I think it speaks volumes that there is agreement on the subject.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Thanks to all, and please the ones that haven't yet, pretty please, go for it and post your experiences in this regard.

I definitely will go tonight to the Christmas Pageant, but I don't think I'll tell my husband what it is or where it's being held. That'd probably be the official end of my days as a Witness, which at this time I'm not ready for because my parents are very important to me and they're staunch fanatic Witnesses.

The other people and co-workers that have attended have been delighted by this presentation. I know it'll be a great time and a totally different experience.

Thanks to all of you for your support and words of encouragement.

DY

• mouthy
    mouthy

I have been out since 1987.. I speak in ALL Churches. About what JWS believe & how to love them >but check what they say> because they twist the scriptures. My Daughter had cancer -she was raised a JW> Left on her own(-the JWS-)joined a church....& I would like to tell you what THAT FAMILY OF CHURCH did----- every night they put a hot cassarole on her table for her & hubby & 3 kids....desserts, Hot coffee etc for ages....drove her to get her Chemo ,radiation, Hey sweetie if any of these churches have demons.....GO FOR IT!!!!!!! cos they are showing the one thing we were COMMANDED to show=by >Jesus LOVE!!!!!....I attended the JW for over 20+ years. I NEVER once saw THIS kind of love....".This is how you will know them by the LOVE they have among them..."..
    Sorry for the long post. But I am known on here as mouthy-you can see I live up to my name (((((HUG))) let us know how you felt.....& when they tell you to give a sign of Peace SHAKE HANDS the demons wont rub off cos they 'aint"there.......lol

p.s they are in the kingdum hell!!!!!

• acsot
    acsot

DY: Your post could have been made by me last year. At that time, my boss gave me free tickets to a Christmas concert by one of the city's professional choirs (a really great choir, BTW). The church, Christmas carols, the whole bit. Demons lurking everywhere, right? I felt as you do, but forced myself to go. I tell ya, I'm agnostic now, but the sounds of those voices could almost make me believe in the Bible God again. No Kingdom Hall visit ever did that for me. After my initial nervousness (which is a natural by-product of the hateful Watchtower programming), I felt absolutely great, uplifted even, after the concernt was over. Subsequent to that I accompanied one of my friends from work to a Robbie Burns day (a tribute to the Scottish poet). Fine and good, you say, except that it was in a Masonic Lodge (no doubt the epicenter of demonic activity!), and we drank and toasted evening away. So by JW standards, in one evening I committed all kinds of horrible sins: gladly assocating with worldly people, paying to attend a function at a Masonic Lodge, and toasting to the spirit of Robbie Burns. And guess what? No guilt, no qualms, nothing.

It won't take you long to undo the ridiculous brainwashing JWs go through. The first couple of times you venture out and do something normal, you may feel twinges of WTS guilt. But when you realize how nice and good and generous many worldly people are, you'll quickly see that they could no more be condemned by the Bible God than the apostle Paul could be.

However, I do encourage you to: research the historicity and authenticity of the Bible; try and participate in normal activities (i.e. wear red on Valentine's day, wish people happy birthday, drink a toast to someone's health, go to a St. Patrick's Day parade, etc.). One step at a time, one aspect of normal life at a time, and you'll get there, no problem.

In a year, you'll be a completely new person, all for the better.

see my post below as to how I felt about doing normal things post-JW:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/40861/563747/post.ashx#563747

As a side note: JWs visit churches all the time when it's part of a tour group. I visited Israel and Egypt several years, all JWs, circuit overseers, district overseers, Branch committe members, etc. We visited every synagogue, cathedral and mosque you can think of. And yes, we paid entrance fees (which went directly into the coffers of the respective religions). So it's rather hypocritical for the GB to prohibit going into a church for a type of religious service but it is okay to pay for the upkeep of the same church and the salaries of those who work there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit