The woman is a NUT

by Mysterious 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Mysterious, you have mail, I'm sending you a file, its kind of funny, but there may be something in there you can use for your mom, and hey, its out of Genesis!

Gretch

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I doubt mom would ever listen unless they printed it in the pages of the watchtower, but hey I enjoyed reading it.

• Gadget
    Gadget

I thought the revelation book was 'old light'? Could you not show her the new light from the watchtower, and ask why its changed?

• jackal
    jackal

Sorry. I don't envy you. I still remember slogging through "Babylon the Great Has Fallen" every Tuesday night. Our study leader (or whatever they call them, I can't remember) had a bad stuttering problem, which made everything take even longer. Plus our book study was in this older woman's house that always smelled like pee. Ah, the memories!

What is the new light on Revelation, anyway? Have they finally figured out the J Lo is actually the Scarlet Whore of Babylon?

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    What is the new light on Revelation, anyway?

Silentlambs.org is the new king of the north.

Sorry you have to go through this crap Mysterious. I hated the studies I had with my mother. The answer to all life's problems seem to be in WT publications. In reality, it's quite the opposite.

• Dawn
    Dawn

Mysterious......

Here's a thought. Since you're reading revelation - why don't you point out to your mom that it says the Great Crowd is standing before the throne of God in heaven - then ask her how the Great Crowd can be in heaven?

Oh - and while you're at it. Ask her if she can show you "using only the bible" that the 144,000 of Revelation are one and the same as the faithful and discrete slave of Matthew.

That ought to stump her for at least a few weeks.....

• Buster
    Buster

Well, maybe she isn't actually a nut, just overly indoctrinated. She is coming at you just like any good dubbie would.

But I had an idea. Ask her what she wants to study next, which book, which chapter. Then get ahead of her. You could ask for help right here on this board. It would give you a chance to read ahead and get ready. I've always felt that the JW method of study was one of the major tools of the cult: The read-a-paragraph-and-ask-the-question approach is mind numbing and avoids the overall content of the material. Instead, read the chapter. At the end, ask yourself what the chapter was trying to convey, then go back and see if they actaully made the point they want you to walk away with.

I like the JW Revelation books. That is where they say their stupidest things.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Gee Mysterious,.your mom should get together with my mom and then they have a babalonian feast.

My mom has devoured Revelation until she can practically site it word for word. And boy you should see all her side notes in the bible, there are more notes than scripture.

No serious now, its like they are fanatical all wrapped up in making sure they have every prophecy from from Daniel, Ezikiel, Amos, all major and minor prophecys down pat so that they can interput Revelation.

One very excellent book I have read is the "Two Babylons" By Rev. Alexander Hislop. Its great reading. My favourite bk when in the Org. was Bablylon the Gread Has Fallen.

It seems that the society has ingrained the bk of Revelation to the cong. seeing how some of it is in fullfullment of them.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

orangefatcat, my mom's study bible is scarily note filled as well. To the point that she won't show it to anyone else or take it anywhere.

Buster, she won't listen to a thing unless the society says so. Anything I could come up with she would surely have a watchtower answer for. Not to mention I'm sure she would find my questioning attitude appalling.

Dawn, I think they have a way around I don't recall what it was but it certainly didn't involve the great crowd in heaven. As for the faithful and discreet slave, I don't think I've ever seen that proven anywhere. But I did see mom do 1914 with a bible study once so anything is possible.

jackal, I believe it was the revision of the generation theory. I'm sure there was more but that's the part I remember.

Gadget, "The light gets brighter" "spiritual food at the proper time" etc.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

mysterious. I forgot to mention it as I forgot to, but my mothers watchtower was so marked up you couldn't see the print. Just different colour inks.

It use to make me laugh, and I wondered how she could remember what note went to what paragraph.

My mother could have passed for an elderette.

Orangefatcat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit