Smokin' Phizzy !

by Phizzy 9 Replies latest social entertainment

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

As a JW teenager in the 60's I took up smoking. I gave up in my early 20's when my new wife and I decided , mistakenly, that it was a good idea to " make a proper go of Da Troof". In all the intervening decades I still enjoyed the smell of a fine Cigar.

When I left and became free, I took up smoking again, always fine Cigars, and ended up hooked, and smoking ten or more a day. I gave up, officially, in August of this year, but still allow myself a celebratory Cigar on special occasions. I have just enjoyed my Christmas Cigar, the next will probably be on my Birthday in a few months time.

The last occasion was just as I was waiting to go in to the Chapel for the funeral of a good friend of mine, he was like the brother I never had, and he and I had spent a lot of time together, often smoking, enjoying a drink, and chatting and laughing together. He was a lovely man, loved by hundreds, who would have been at his funeral as well as me, but for Covid, and my Cigar was to commune with his memory.

I feel a great peace, and enjoyment of my true freedom, when I smoke, and feel in tune with so many great souls when I do so.

I do not wish to encourage any to smoke, but, do any of you enjoy things forbidden by JW's, and even some other things condemned by non JW killjoys ?

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i smoked as a young teenager at school -- one of my mates used to help himself from his father's endless supply ( a Birmingham city councillor..nuff said ), and hand them out. i gave up when i started work -at 15--as i couldnt afford to buy them.

when i started seeing my 2nd wife-to-be, she smoked--and it started me off. i was 35, and smoked till i was 48. a week in intensive care with a heart attack at 48 persuaded me of the error of my ways. my wife still carried on till she died 11 years later. ( it wasnt the cause of her death ).

i think people who smoke these e-fags look ridiculous--blowing out clouds of smoke. but it does serve as a reminder to keep well away from them.

•  The Bethelite
    The Bethelite

Never smoked and never wanted too.....well that is not quite true.

On a couple of company golf tournaments the guys I was playing with would light up a cigar and after taking a drag they would place the cigar on the green and make their putt with that wonderful pungent smoke swirling around them. I thought....how cool. Yet I knew that I would never be able to do something like that...

Fast forward a few years, when the shit hit the fan and my kids (who were 21 and 23 at the time) and me left the Borg, all the old rules got thrown out. One of the first things my kids did was smoke. Not so much that I think they liked it. It was more the big F.... You to the religion and it's rules. After years of the restrictive life style they wanted to experience life in all it's forms.... the good and bad. I could no longer could command them with the many "Do's and Don'ts" that we were both raised with.

I'm very proud of my children and how the turned out. Yes, they experienced somethings that may have not been in their best interest. Yet, isn't that what life is all about? Finding what works for you and what doesn't? They are their own persons.

Sadly they both still smoke. Yes they both want to quit. Yet, it's their lives and their decision. Hopefully they make the right one.

Life is full of choices and the ones we make for ourselves will always better than those that a religion makes for us.

P.S Once every couple of weeks I will enjoy a cigar. No they are not good for you but either is being in a cult.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

One of the positives of been in the cult. No Christmas, birthdays, drugs or smoking.

•  The Bethelite
    The Bethelite

Well joe I'm afraid 3 of the 4 things you mentioned can be a lot of fun.

• cantleave
    cantleave

An occasional cigar can be very nice, especially with a single malt whisky.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

There's something so ''liberating'' and peaceful with the occasional cigar after an accomplishment. Hard to put into words.

• just fine
    just fine

When I first left I tried smoking cigarettes and didn’t like it. I was young and was a “beer girl” at a golf course and also a “chew girl” for smokeless tobacco. A couple of times a year I indulge in smokeless tobacco.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

I smoked weed for about 10 years. Gave it up for about 2 years. Started again. Gave it up for 3 years. Then got the medical marijuana card 3 years ago.

I am on day 1 of a 10 day "break" from it.

I would like to just use it when I need it emotionally but my husband and I have fun smoking, so we end up doing it every day.

Oh well! Thankful for the break!

• titch
    titch

Well, Hoooooly Smokes, Folks. (Oops, sorry about that juvenile pun) Anyway, in all my 66 years on the planet, I have NEVER had any desire to take up smoking. BUT---I have always enjoyed the AROMA of cigarette, cigar, and pipe tobacco smoke. Go figure that one out. I had relatives who smoked, who weren't JWs, and of course, in the business world, there were people who smoked. So, I always enjoyed the aroma that they had. Now, one thing that I absolutely CANNOT stand, is the smell---not aroma to me---the smell, the odor, of marijuana. And, I detest the smell of a person's breath who has just smoked a "joint." Eww....Yuck.....Putrid. Oh, well. Best Regards, All.

Titch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit