New Article - Watchtower View of Homosexuality

by jwfacts 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have thought about writing this article for many years, and the Awake! 2014 No.4 was the final straw. There it states that Jehovah's Witnesses show no prejudice towards homosexuals, and "they neither mock nor mistreat people whose practices differ from their own." I have had too many gay JW friends suffer severe terribly, including depression, shunning and suicide, due to the Watchtower's hateful filled speak about homosexuals, that I could not ignore this topic any longer.

Watchtower View of Homosexuality and Transgender

Let me know if you think I have missed anything.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    Great article!
  • Listener
    Listener

That's a great article and you have covered many aspects.

Just a few errors spotted -

It shows how all-controlling Watchtower leaders want to be, when a well dressed man in a business suit can be counselling for their clothing.

Counselled instead of counselling

It is inappropriate for a young child to try and convince her friend that her parents are sinners, particularly when that child has no option but to live with them?
    This appears to be a statement rather than a question, although it would be better for it to remain as a question. I gather 'it is' was meant to be 'is it'.

This is a poor illustration, as there is no comparison between discarding an aerosol deodorant and being forced to change your identity.
    I don't think it was an aerosol can that was identified as being objectionable, it was the bag/contents of the bag or in other words 'unacceptable baggage'.

since in paradise all desire for sex will be gone. Watchtower teaches that there will be no marriage in the New System.[1]The only married people in paradise will be those that survive Armageddon with their marriage partner, who alone will bear children.

They now teach that they don't know whether resurrected ones on earth will be able to marry or not.

Wt 14 8/15 "Is there any reason to believe that those who are resurrected on earth will be able to marry? We cannot say.

For many years, our publications have said that Jesus’ words about the resurrection and getting married likely refer to the resurrection on earth. Also, our publications have said that in the new world, resurrected ones will most likely not marry.* (See footnote.) (Matthew 22:29, 30; Mark 12:24, 25; Luke 20:34-36) However, is it possible that Jesus’ words refer to a resurrection to heaven? Without being definite about this matter, let us examine what Jesus said."

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble
    Great and complete article. Would appreciate if you can post on JWR as Well.
  • jwfacts
    jwfacts
    Thanks for the comments. Listener, I have updated the article to account for your observations. DS, I will post on JWR as well.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Great article, Jwfacts.

From your article (2016 WT quote): "Although the Bible condemns homosexual acts, it does not encourage prejudice, hate crimes, or any other kind of mistreatment of homosexuals...."

This is possibly one of the worst examples of Theocratic Warfare(TM). What the WT fails to say is that under the Mosaic Law, persons having gay relationships were stoned to death. That's just about the worst 'mistreatment of homosexuals' possible.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

jwfacts,

Wonderful article. Never a JW, Thank you so much for your site I learned so much about the JWS from your website.

• Simon
    Simon
    This is possibly one of the worst examples of Theocratic Warfare(TM). What the WT fails to say is that under the Mosaic Law, persons having gay relationships were stoned to death. That's just about the worst 'mistreatment of homosexuals' possible.

The bible narrative as believed by JWs is that the Mosaic Law is no longer applicable hence their use of "does not" rather than "did not" could be considered valid. It's a little like claiming that the US advocates slavery now just because they used to once.

I agree, the bible is a piece of crap and like most religions they cherry pick and do promote things from the OT when it suits them. But the WTS are not promoting the outright hatred that many other groups do and Christianity (while still with it's laggards) has, since the reformation, mostly rejected the extreme parts of their holy book in a way that certain other faiths have yet to copy.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    As always, a great piece of work.
  • Half banana
    Half banana

Just one point I would like to make, it's more of a technicality than anything else and may not appear to help the case but it is best to get things right if we can.

A person is born homosexual; it is not a choice

There is no evidence that the first part of this statement is true. From genetics we learn that at birth the individual's sexual proclivity is not differentiated or determined. There is no test which could determine that a baby is born homosexual or heterosexual.

Nevertheless the second part of the statement

It is not a choice

still holds true. Our sexual interest becomes apparent from an early age ( I remember at three years old being electrically attracted to the opposite sex)  but it comes not through deliberate choice or external forces so far as anyone knows or can measure.

Life is so interesting!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit