Any atheists here? Have you come to terms with your new reality?

by kpop 102 Replies latest jw friends

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Life to me is a pointless struggle to enjoy stuff before the total oblivion of death.

I am not important. We do not have a purpose here. We are an accident of some sort. We are conscious and that is our curse.

I cannot imagine not being conscious. I causes me fear.

No. I cannot come to terms with the reality that there is no happy ever after.

It brings me to realise I'm just here killing time and heading toward death,

The human race is futile. Life is futile. eventually, The world will cease to exist one day and it will have all been pointless.

I miss the cosy delusion of god.......but I'm facing reality head on.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

I actually found great peace in coming to terms with it.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I too eventually found peace once I had got used to the idea of my mortality, of no "afterlife" etc etc.

Not long after leaving The Lie, the JW "religion", I decided the only sensible way to live was an Evidence Based life.

I was soon without god, technically an Atheist.

I have never been happier !

• just fine
    just fine

I,too, have found peace in it. I no longer have to subscribe to some arbitrary rules, ever changing, to try to gain favor. I don't have to judge others on whether they are worthy of my or Gods love. I can just love people, mistakes and all. That's really all anyone wants is to be loved and accepted for who they are, without religion/ God involved its do much easier. Whatever happens at the end of this life, I have no control over anyway.

• kpop
    kpop

Freemind and Phiffy yes! There is peace from this conclusion!

• kpop
    kpop

Punkof Nice, yes. Ignorance is bliss as they say! Once you take the red pill there is no going back.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

The older I get, the less a state of oblivion bothers me. I do, however, feel sad when a life is cut short. All that potential lost.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

I am an agnostic deist. I find no comfort in human religions because I have yet to find one that doesn't require subjective assumptions and the acceptance of various logical fallacies. However, given my level of understanding with regards to the universe, I'm certainly in no position to completely close my mind to the idea of a creator. Until he speaks to me directly, though, (and speaks to me in such a way that I can be reasonably certain I haven't just suffered a psychotic break with reality, or am experiencing a hallucination caused by an altered state of consciousness) then I will have to use my best judgment to live me life and hope things work out okay.

As for how I have made peace with the thought that I will most probably cease to exist one day with no hope for continuing my sentient existence. Well, firstly I look to science to determine what I can know about where I came from and what will happen to me after I die. Science tells me that the atoms in my body were forged in the heart of a star and that the matter and energy in my body will go right on existing long after my brain has died. Even if there isn't a supernatural force responsible for what is before life and after death, I think that the demonstrable facts around these events are amazing enough to satisfy me. Additionally, I came to the realization that, just because what I do may not matter in 10 billion years, it still matters now.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

This is how Robert Ingersoll responded to a Fundamentalist's question, 'What if it's the truth?' back in the 19th century.

----

"Why," they say to me, "suppose all this should turn out to be true, and you should come to the day of Judgement and find all these things to be true. what would you do then?" I would walk up like a man, and say, "I was mistaken.""And suppose God was about to pass judgment upon you, what would you say?" I would say to him, "Do unto others as you would that others should do unto you." Why not?

I am told that I must render good for evil. I am told that if smitten on one cheek I must turn the other. I am told that I must overcome evil with good. I am told that I must love my enemies; and will it do for this God who tells me to love my enemies to damn his? No, it will not do. It will not do."

• cofty
    cofty

I no longer have a yearning for everlasting life or a fear of death.

It is a very real question for me. I have metastatic cancer currently in remission. I am awaiting results of the latest CT scans. Statistically my chances are maybe 30%.

I feel sad at the idea that if it comes sooner or later there are so many things I will never know about. So much will happen after I am gone that I would have loved to see but just by being here for a while makes us very fortunate. We won the biggest lottery just by being born.

Some people feel that unless life its eternal then it is pointless. I don't find much comfort in the knowledge that my atoms will go on. I think the answer is to find contentment in the little pleasures. Live in the moment. Find something each day that you will later remember with a smile. You don't have to change the world to have a life that was worthwhile.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit