Should I invite the parents to our wedding??

by smurfy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

OK, here's a thought. Since he would feel 'uncomfortable' and they will not attend if there's any religious affiliation, send them the invitation saying, by the way, there is a religious affiliation. Their conscience will excuse them from attending and he will feel comfortable. Just a thought, take it with a grain of salt.

Do you think I have the bases covered?

Guest 77

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

Yes, invite them, don't lower yourself to their level,

just because they turn their back on him, don't do the same, invite them, its their loss, one day they will regret it, trust me.

know exactly what you're going through, I am an ex jw , moved in with my girlfriend 13 years ago, never looked back, she has been a huge help in my life.

run don't walk (away from the Watchtower)

• freelife
    freelife

hey everybody i am smurfy's fiancee. we both are very happy to get all these suggestions about our wedding. even though i am very bitter to my parents i will invite them. but i was going to send them a letter to them telling them about the kind of wedding we are going to have. this way when the stuff that would offend them happens they can't say that we were trying to decieve them. so hopefully that will keep them from coming to the wedding because i want to be able to enjoy our wedding day without feeling like i am guilty of murder. i hate to sound like a jackass but i am sick of their lack of respect for my life decisions.

• neverin
    neverin

Hi you two love birds

I'm glad you've decided to invite them and give the the info they need to make their choice. I married my hubby 14 years ago in church and my Dad wouldn't give me away but he did come into church to see me get married. My brothers and their wives stayed outside the church but came to the reception and had not problems eating and drinking with us. I feel you are the better people for putting the ball in their court and showing by example that us 'worldly' people are actually quite nice!!

Hope you have a fantastic day, health and happiness always.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Good choice, freelife! Yes, have the wedding your way, and yes, invite them. Let the coals roast their brains, not yours.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I agree with the others, invite them. But since it is not that important to your fiance if they come at all, in fact he is more uncomfortable if they come, I would NOT have a non religious ceremony on their account. You said it is important to you to have something said before God, and if both you and your fiance agree on this, do what is right for both of you. This is your day!

Congrats on your up pending marriage!Marry MeMarry Me

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

It would be wonderful to be able to invite them. but.......

Talk to your husband about it. I'd suggest telling him you think it might be the thing to do but he really doesn't want them there then screw it, they don't need to be there. Has to be his choice.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

IMHO - You do the correct and Christian thing and invite them -- the rest is up to them -- if they choose to be unchristian and not come or whatever , then that is up to them

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

smurfy, your situation sounds like what I had to go through last year.

I DA'd myself and got married to a non-jw who is a Christian. We had a pastor who volunteered to do the wedding for us for free. For my fiancee, he wanted God's blessing and wanted something religious. For me, hey!, it was free!!! I didn't really care. My mom who is the only jw in the family, refused to come to my wedding or take any part in preparation of the ceremony.

But I prepared everything as if she was going to come. Guess what? None of my former jw friends came, but my mom DID come!

Talk to your fiancee. Show them how generous and kind you two are, and invite them. Whatever they do against you or your fiancee after that will make them look really bad.

Oh, if you want to reenforce your move, invite some of their return visits or neighbors. Then, they will have to come and behaive.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    i hate to sound like a jackass but i am sick of their lack of respect for my life decisions.

You sound like a swell guy to me! You're certainly not the jackass here.

Have a great day - you both deserve it.

Ian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit